UK Decay Forum Index UK Decay
UK DECAY COMMUNITIES 2008

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Acid Pro

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> Music Production questions and answers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Black

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Acid Pro Reply with quote

Is there any way to master, to broadcast standard, tracks written with Acid Pro? I'm using Sound Forge for editing but each track I've done sounds a little flat. Any suggestions? Confused
Spono

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Acid Pro Reply with quote

Hi Jim and welcome to the music production corner.

Quote:
Is there any way to master, to broadcast standard, tracks written with Acid Pro? I'm using Sound Forge for editing but each track I've done sounds a little flat.

To be honest I cant give you a straight answer to that question!
maybe PJ or someone else can give you a better reply but here are a few
thoughts....

As Acid PRO! is meant for 'proffessional use' I would say yes indeed
it ought to be plausible to make 'broadcast quallity' masters using this
software. At the end of the day what exactly is 'broadcast quallity' anyway?

If your talking about the pure technical term for radio stations and most
mainstream media, then the 'Benchmark' is 16bit at 44khz which is
standard audio CD quality, nine tenths of broadcasted media on the radio
and commercial audio CD's utilize these benchmarks!

Today 'Professional Studios' usually record and mix at, at least 24 bit
(44kz) resolution or higher (32bit,64 or even 96kz!) and so do most
'professional' software applications (i am sure 'Acid Pro/Sound-Forge',
can run in 24bit!?)

Anyway technicalities aside, the 'proof' is in the percieved results the
software produces..for my ears, 'A-P' is a great loop making machine
and i fully understand people loving using it, but 'sonically' Propellaheads
'Reason' is far superior! There is a lot more 'sharpness, clarity and punch'
to the lower end and and a lot more clarity and resolution to the high end
frequencies, which seem to aid in a more organic and 'live' feel to the sound.
Having just said this however, if you have the opportunity to use
software like Cubase sx or Logic audio you could try 'exporting' your
'A-P' created tracks into the avove mentioned platforms.
Once imported into Cubase or Logic you can make use of the extensive
mixer parameters and 'plug-ins' to 'beef-up' the mix!
With the editing software like Steinbergs Wavelab, again you have
access to VSTand DX plug-ins, ( i am sure there are plug-ins for
Sound Forge but not VST!?)
Lastly you could 'beef-up' any Tracks or recordings using a 'Mastering
Software' application, such as 'T-Racks' or 'Isotope'

Sorry I couldnt be more specific here but hopefully this may of been
some help to you Jim
best of luck!
spono
Jim Black

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Acid Pro Reply with quote

Thanks, I mean THANKS for the information Spono, it's a great help and I'm certainly going to try some of your suggestions. I have been thinking about Reason but I'm not sure if my PC can handle it. I've heared it requires P3 minimum plus shedfulls of memory, but I'll investigate anyway.
Thanks again.

Peace.
Razz
Yamon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Surprisingly enough..... Reply with quote

I've found that the engine behind Reason will work adequately on PIII machines, you'll certainly get a lot more sounds back out the other end than say Cubase with a few VSTi's running. Very low CPU overheads, which is one reason to love Reason I suppose.

As for Acid Pro, (version 2 was IMHO the best version), it's a great little program for knocking ideas together, think of it like a scratch pad/ diving board to get the rough feel together. It's very similar to Abletons Live too, so if you are happy with it there really isn't that much reason to switch if the option ever arises. However in the great tradition of trying to polish a turd, if the loops going in are a bit dodgy, the over all mix out the other end is also gonna be a bit ropey but then you knew that already. That said most of the groovey functions that make Acid so easy to use are also present in Cubase, you've just gotta know where to look and what button to press. Tempo matching a loop to a tune? Yep, that can be done. Slicing a tune up into individual beats? Yep, that can be done too. Automation? Are you kidding with me? Of course you can automate stuff like volume, pan, FX sends, etc, you've just gotta know where to look and how to do it.

Post production audio editing using T-Racks24 to add low end punch and high end sparkle might be an idea BUT if you plan on ever getting the tune cut to vinyl then don't do it! The engineer at the cutting plant knows what they are doing and preproduced tracks tend to make it just a bit harder for 'em, especially as it'll probably end up a bit over-produced using T-Racks24. If the tune is gonna be whacked straight into MP3 format, broadcast as streaming media or burned onto a homebrew audio CD then by all means use T-Racks24 to add a certain something, just remember not to over egg the pudding. Less is most certainly more.

That all aside though, there isn't an awful lot you can't do with Soundforge6, Recycle2.0 and Reason2.5. If you need *cough* demo's of any then get in touch and I'll see what I can do.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: dont over egg the pudding Reply with quote

dont over egg the pudding!
Yes Yamen!
Well put
The best Sound Producers were all ex-chefs!
jus add a little 'erb 'n' spice'' to the mix
stir well simmer gently for 100 days
fold in a little whipped egg (carefull no to overdo!)
add a little brandy, stand back and ignite!

seriously, thanks for the usefull tips here
apparently Acid Pro runs in 16 bit
and there are plans for a 24 bit version in the pipeline
if anyone could add any more to this it would be appreciated.
sp

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:06 am    Post subject: Where? Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks, I mean THANKS for the information Spono, it's a great help and I'm certainly going to try some of your suggestions. I have been thinking about Reason but I'm not sure if my PC can handle it. I've heared it requires P3 minimum plus shedfulls of memory, but I'll investigate anyway.

Okay I get that but where is all of this going?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> Music Production questions and answers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: