UK Decay Forum Index UK Decay
UK DECAY COMMUNITIES 2008

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Godfathers of Goth
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> Matters of 'Gothiquete'
View previous topic :: View next topic  
werewolf
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:15 am    Post subject: Godfathers of Goth Reply with quote

Debate the history of 'gothic music'
Mick Mercer or someone once claimed that UK Decay were amongst the founding 'godfathers' of 'Goth'
In fact Abbo vocals, of UK Decay was actually the originator of the term 'Goth'...is this true?
Well this could be a starting place in this quest! Twisted Evil

Visit The new UK Decay Communities
Mervin
Minstrel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: yeah true Reply with quote

i heard that myself on a us tv show,
Uk decay where pioneers at the frontier of goth punk well before, the cure or any other bands.
bransonpickle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: a great band Reply with quote

I love the music listening to it now, it still has it. great lyrics from abbo and the boys all the best r. Cool
mickmercer
Druid
Druid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The influence of UK Decay is naturally very strong and people should respect their pre-eminence in UK Goth History because no other band helped as many other bands, if only through being so damn approachable.

The truth is, I never met a band who had a bad word to say about Decay and many clearly benefited through the help and exposure Decay brought them as their own reputation was building.

And from 'Black Cat' onwards the lyrical and visual imagery of the band fitted in with some bands moving away from the purely Punk energy, and concerns, into finding themselves more comfortable using personal concerns and interests in their lyrics.

Can you imagine Decay ploughing a conformist Punk 'strategy' and ending up like a superior Chelsea or something?

Instead, you naturally went your own way and people couldn't help but pick up on the feel. It was dark, it had some curdled humour, and also developed its own sound. The drums and guitar sound was your own invention. Abbo's vocal style became copied by others, as they copied Adam (and Abbo probably lifted some initial tricks from him).

For Goth, as a subject initially rather than any noticeable 'sound' (that happened in the second half of the 80's), it was important to have a band like Decay seen to flourish, and then be followed by other bands who also started to attract the same audience, or a decent proportion of them, and word of mouth was then spread through the burgeoning fanzine market of the time.

Goth was more the audience for the first few years than a group of bands. There were thousands of people going to tons of gigs, and gradually defining their devotions, and time, and effort, to bands who didn't fit into a one-dimensional Punk approach.

In my first Punk History CD I have used a couple of Abbo interviews and labelled him as Grandfather Of Goth. I'm sure he wears it well. Even if he did end up working for a rubbish label.
Dharma Sister
Druid
Druid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: I wasn't around Reply with quote

I wasn't around in the days you're talking about, well actually I was but I was still in nappies and pushchairs. Looking back on the history of music, and looking at (and listening to) today's music scene I think it's great that a group of guys had the courage (I think it's appropriate to use that word) and originality to come out with something as you say Mick, more personal and non-conformist (even than punk). It is so easy to be swept up in a movement and to lose sight of the original meaning and purpose of it. I'd love to have been around in thoses days! Fortunately, having met Spon a few years ago I have been priveleged enought to be able to still have access to the old 7 as 12" early goth gems by the band. It's tragic about Steve Harle's death and I feel sad not to have been able to meet him, as many people will feel sad at the loss of a wonderful friend. But good on yer Spon for getting this together - u diamond dog! Abbo, get down from up there and check out the site man! Peace out xxxx

www.myspace.com/djdetox
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rick A. Mortis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well weren't they one of a handfull of groups that started the "Goth" movement..

Gloria Mundi is another one right?

and The Dark?
mickmercer
Druid
Druid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gloria Mundi, yes. The Dark, no.
Iain

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poison Girls were also around, releasing stuff in 1979.

What month was the Black Cat EP released? I always assumed it was released before Bela Lugisi's Dead, but never found the month that either were released, just 79.
werewolf
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Black 45 released Reply with quote

Black 45 released
Quote:
What month was the Black Cat EP released? I always assumed it was released before Bela Lugisi's Dead, but never found the month that either were released, just 79.

The 'Black 45' we think was released aprox. October/November 1979 ( cant pin it down more accurately than that at the moment ) Around this time Bauhaus ( who had just dropped the 1919 suffix!) and UK Decay performed together at Luton Technical College and at Northampton Racecourse Pavillion.
Bauhaus had just released 'Bela Lugusi's Dead' and UK Decay had just released 'The Black 45'! we reckoned that to have been around , or just after Halloween (of course!) We dont know about Bauhaus but the trip to Northampton was the first 'Out of town gig' for UK Decay.
Later on in December of 1979, 'Crass', 'the Poison Girls' and 'UK Decay'
played at the 'Marsh House Community hall' in Marsh Farm Luton.
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Visit The new UK Decay Communities
brilliant guest
Minstrel

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 2:08 am    Post subject: If I recall Reply with quote

It must have been november that the black cat, was actually released.
If my memory serves me correctly 1979 was a vintage year for the mushrooms growing round luton.
hint: look on the corner of the black cat cover: what do you see??
it was relevent to the time the single was released.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> Matters of 'Gothiquete' All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: