UK Decay Forum Index UK Decay
UK DECAY COMMUNITIES 2008

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Godfathers of Goth
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> Matters of 'Gothiquete'
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blink poker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about bands like,killing joke,joy division,banshees,magazine ect these must be the benchmarks for what we know as gothic.correct me if i'm wrong but spons guitaring reminds me of john Mcgeoch..was he an influence?? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Frank Forthright.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:09 am    Post subject: Gothic Tendencies. Reply with quote

Good point mate. I would say that the sound of 'Goth' developed simultaneously and even contemporaneously, through the work of several bands. I guess it could have been a tribal thing based on the location of some of the bands. The fan's tastes and identity evolved from the live gigs and as bands played on the same Venues, there was a camaraderie and a certain amount of cross-fertilisation. (genetic modification?) Decay played with Bauhaus and played their 12" till the groves woire out. They also played together and I recall going to a brilliant gig at the Oranges in Oxford to see Bauhaus with the "crew" Also DK did anything possible to help other bands get on. The peeps you mention went "commercial" quite quickly, but Decay stuck out for their own control and of course that makes the music harder to get out there, so DIY was very important and earlier recordings didn't always get the exposure they deserved. I think that decays "accidental" voyage into a darker imagery came from the tensions of running the ship on "rum, the lash and naturally occuring mycellium", alongside some spectacullarly concocted "gothic" utterings unique to Abbo's lyric style that paid homage to everything from Edgar A. Poe to the feel of classic horror- movies. Always an interesting and challenging Lyricist and Singer, Abbo deserves credit for originating a theme much emulated in Gothic bands today. Very Happy
frankforthright
Minstrel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: Founding Fathers of Goth. Reply with quote

Gone But Not ForGothen!! Rock ya SPN picks up his axe again!
jay wolfendale

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: gothic roots Reply with quote

So, with regards to others, and at the risk of being biased, what about Crazy Arthur Brown ? He was wearing the make up, later copied by everyone from Kiss to Alice Cooper, Alien Sex Fiend to Marilyn Manson, which , i have to say was at least original in 1966, and had song titles including Spell on you, Devil's Grip and of course Fire. Straight outta Whitby, Yorks. which was of course where Dracula was based. So how freaky did he look doing his first hellfire shows in Montmartre in 1966 ? Very..................x
Pantherin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.... For that matter, Goth wouldn't exist if Rock n Roll Tedds, Mods & Rockers and the like hadn't cemented youth culture in the uk....
blinkpoker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can take it back further than that really,if you take hillbilly/country as tha starting point to popular music..it's not that far fetched either as they say what goes around comes around look at the last few years the the doing hank williams songs,nick cave doing country,the beasts of bourbon and not forgetting johnny cash doing depeche mode,glen danzig and nine inch nail songs so could country be the missing link!!!!just thought of tammy wynette in ju ju land as well.... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Phil Langham

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: The Dark Reply with quote

mickmercer wrote:
Gloria Mundi, yes. The Dark, no.

IMHO the Dark were nothing more than a rock band, Andy Riff being a roadie for Menace who I believe the band espired to be

They were good for a crack but cannot really be called Gothic in any way
paulb
Bard
Bard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blinks right about bands like magazine, joy division etc. it seems to me that was a whole post punk movement that used bleak imagery (but not ones based on the undead or vampires like the later 'Goth' bands did, just on urban decay and personal distress and other happy subjects) and tones down the singing to what seemed like introspection compared with the shouting of punks first wave, add to this a move to more importance given to the rhythm section and the use of more toms and less cymbals, the guitar being used to pick out spiky soundscapes rather than either a repetitive rhythm or 'rawk' lead, no solos and you have the musical blueprint for the whole of the later goth scene. IMHO the first band to be called goth in the sense of picking up that musical baton and adding deliberately film noir words and images and no social comment has to be bauhaus.
jay wolfendale

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: roots Reply with quote

just to add, Lorretta Lynn's album with Jack White from the White Stripes, 'Van Lear Rose'....She sure rocks for a pensioner....Original miners daughter country star and Mr. White. Good stuff J x.
paulb
Bard
Bard

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, havent heard it but it sounds good, i find im strangely drawn the country the older I get, i just have to keep telling myself and everyone who thinks im about to take up line dancing its alt country!

Heard PIL and public image limited today and even that sets a goods blueprint for the original sound of the 'goth' movement.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> Matters of 'Gothiquete' All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: