UK Decay Forum Index UK Decay
UK DECAY COMMUNITIES 2008

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UK Decay as the three-piece sweet...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> In The UK Decay Today!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phibes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: UK Decay as the three-piece sweet... Reply with quote

Has anybody out there heard any bootlegs of "split-single" era gigs, or even demos? I was lucky enough to see the lads pre-spon at a venue called the Crauford Arms in Wolverton, a neo-industrial waste spot in Milton Keynes, circa. July 1979.

Other acts included Spizz Energi, The Transistors (from Bletchley) and the Sore Willies (Aylesbury). It was organised by some bloke called "dave" from Newport Pagnell who ran a fanzine called "Suspect Device"...

Was anybody else at this one?

I just think it was THE BEST time I got "decayed"...
paulrabjohn
King of Kings
King of Kings

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know this is a very good point. whereas i guess an awful lot of people know what uk decay sounded like , very few people have a clue what the resistors were like , or know anything about pneumania other than the 2 split single tracks. i've never seen a resistors bootleg mentioned to be honest. i think there was a 4-piece era too with abbo on guitar and various singers before he took the job on himself?

so in the next newsletter my plan is to do a piece on pneumania / resistors / early uk decay with a bit of input from spon to try and tell the "pre uk decay story". it would be great to have some audio material from this era but i suspect this may be optimistic.

unless anyone knows otherwise Smile

p
Ian Lee
Druid
Druid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phibes-

Yeah, I too was at the Crauford Arms, Wolverton, on 14 July 1979.
You forgot the first act- Eddie Stanton. I had also, earlier, been to gigs by The Cure (11/06/79) and The Undertones (12/03/79) at this venue-
and that was that. I never went there again- no more good gigs ? I believe it was the legendary Paul O'Reilly, from Newport Pagnell, who organised these events.

My first sighting of The Resistors was at Barnfield College, Luton, 23/03/79. Also on the bill were The Winders, The Jets and Snow White (aka Gaynor). I'd already seen- for some reason- Bethnal and Bernie Torme at what is now Luton University, on 04/11/78, but then back on track with Generation X and The Cure at the California, on 05/12/78.

My next sighting of The Resistors was the infamous gig at Luton Town Hall annexe, 04/04/78 (a 'scene' was already developing). Also playing were Snow White, The Clips, The Friction and the Statics.

The first time I saw the band as UK Decay was at the Threehorseshoes Roundabout, Marsh Farm, Luton (must have been feeling brave) on 27/08/79, as part of the Marsh Farm Festival (there was such a thing !)
Pneumania supported- and that was my first sight of them as well.
Anonymous of Beaudesert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has to be said that Ian Lee is quite possibly the man behind the LU7 interest, if it wasn't for Ian extolling the virtues of said DK then I fear the LU7 PX may well have not been.

Ian - thanks (from the heart) for being such an influence on us all!

Lest we forget - thanks Dave [Barr]! I'm sure he's still hard at it!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"oillle second that!"
A toast to
lu7, Ian
lee, Dave Barr, J.Wolfy, Trog, Phill and the rest
to many to mention here
God bless ye all
jay wolfendale

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: lu7 Reply with quote

hello guest, yes indeedy, what a bunch we all were, beaudesert and homeleigh, still very much alive in my mind, always will be. Couldn't have chosen a better bunch or time x.
Ian Lee
Druid
Druid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for your kind words, people, whoever you are. If what you say was how it happened, then I was only the messenger- I'm glad you decided to see for yourselves and that it turned out to be rewarding !

BTW, a slight slip up with my typing- the gig at Luton Town Hall annexe was on 04/04/79 of course, not a year earlier.
rogerholdstock
Priestess
Priestess

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn you, Mr Lee. I was already re-writing my own history.....
werewolf
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Thread Drift Reply with quote

Thread Drift
How did this thread drift from talking about UK Decay pre 4-piece to becoming a mutual backslapping melee on behalf of the 'LU7 Appreciation Society'? Laughing

"Viva la LU7"

Visit The new UK Decay Communities

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
"oillle second that!"
A toast to
lu7, Ian
lee, Dave Barr, J.Wolfy, Trog, Phill and the rest
to many to mention here
God bless ye all

Oi guest - get your own nick!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> In The UK Decay Today! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: