UK Decay Forum Index UK Decay
UK DECAY COMMUNITIES 2008

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

uk decay outed as 'goth'
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> Matters of 'Gothiquete'
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulb
Bard
Bard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blink, that was awful wasnt it, nearly as bad as the NWOBHM or new wave of british heavy metal, whoever thought these up certainly knew a snappy name when they saw one!

The punk one is kinda interesting though, caroline coon coming up with the name for the music and movement although the name had been used in the US for ages, obviously first to indicate a degenerate yout' and then, in the late sixties it became a magazine that showcased amongst other things garage bands but i dont think the tag was applied to the music before ms coon came up with the idea, but it does muddy that whole UK or USA as the origin of punk rock, for my side it seems clear now that it started in the USA as far back as bands such as the Stooges, the MC5 and even the new york dolls and then into the ramones and television etc. but the british introduced a new level of nihlism, situationism and its attendant graphics (all courtesy of Mr. McLaren, regardless of what Lydon might say) and a whole clothes and DIY culture that took the US ball and made it something very different, more provocative and generally more accessible to working class kids.
blinkpoker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul,now we're talking the stooges are one of my all time favourite bands at the time of writing this i am doing a side project away from my normal band ,yes you've guessed a stooges cover band at the moment we're calling ourselves funhouse and i must admit it's sounding pretty damn fine should be gigging in a months time..anyway going back to what this discussion was about i would actually go back a couple of years on the stooges and include the sonics as a big inspiration on punk as we know it..also check out tracks like STORY OF MY LIFE-UNRELATED SEGMENTS,COMPLICATIONS-THE MONKS and GOOD TIMES-NOBODYS CHILDREN.these tracks are certainly punk rock in music and attitude.i'm a big fan of 60s garage and where most of the garage bands are doing raw parrellels to british bands such as the stones ,who pretty things, yardbirds, kinks etc, there are quite a few garage bands that have a unique sound for the time...paul if you want me to do you a c.d compilation i would be more than happy to...
paulb
Bard
Bard

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blink, my knowledge of 60's garage rock is about zero, with the kingsmen being the only group i could name, and im sure people who know about these things dont even include them. Where should I look to extend my knowledge (theres quite a bit about this movement in Englands Dreaming as well, why cant music books come with accompanying CD's!)
blinkpoker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul,
the kingsmen are really the first of the garage bands dating back to
65 i think...send me your postal address to j.mearn@ntlworld.com or via www.thepokers.co.uk and i'll make you a c.d up and i'm sure you'll enjoy it,...
paulrabjohn
King of Kings
King of Kings

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for a really great introduction to this , try the "nuggets" compilations. really superb , there's about 4 volumes as a box set or individually. bit pricey to buy the box set i guess , but i suspect these are downloadable pretty easily Smile p
blinkpoker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i agree very good indeed theres also a volume 2 out that deals with british, european and other continental garage, psyche ,freakbeat and other 60s bands .... Twisted Evil
paulb
Bard
Bard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blink, thats a very generous offer, i'll do that, thanks. Funny co-incidence, on saturday night I caught a bit of mark Lamarr's show on radio 2 and he was playing 60's garage from australia and new zealand, a lot of it good and a lot of it fronted by female singers.
blinkpoker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i.m a big fan of australian punk rock.i went to see radio birdman about 18 months ago once i got over the shock of how old they looked apart from denis tek they were fucking brilliant regarding new zealand have you heard of D4 we supported them last week really good band.. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> Matters of 'Gothiquete' All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: