UK Decay Forum Index UK Decay
UK DECAY COMMUNITIES 2008

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ritual
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulrabjohn
King of Kings
King of Kings

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i finally got round to burning a copy of this ritual "songs for a dead king" tape. tracklist is as follows ;

Ritual ; Songs For a Dead King

Structure of My Madness
Human Sacrifice
Playtime
Manpower
Portrait
Cult
Brides
Closedown
Effigy
Waiting for the Man
End Product
Mind Disease
Assassin

so the first 6 tracks are the same as the demo tape mentioned on the deathrock site. probably the same versions , but i can't be sure. it's a mixture of studio and live cuts , with dialogue samples in between the tracks as if it was ready to be released. the sound is quite like (early) theatre of hate , powerful vocals over a pretty thunderous backing. shame this never got released as it would have gone down well i'm sure.

and yes that is the lou reed "waiting for the man". quite a good garage punk version. any more info on this from anyone out there would be appreciated.....

p
werewolf
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:30 am    Post subject: 'Dead Kings' tape Reply with quote

'Songs for a Dead King' tape

Have been listening to this tape this evening and I had forgotten how good
Ritual were! A refreshing change to hear Errol singing with something other
than IN Excelsis. They were very tight!, which could explain a couple of the
band being 'poached' by 'DeathCult'
Liked the use of samples in the gaps between songs, I bet thats one of
Mark Bond's ideas (Bass player) he was always into that kind of thing.#
Shall be playing this more often!
Thanx P
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes

Visit The new UK Decay Communities
richpassivity
Minstrel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulrabjohn wrote:
well i finally got round to burning a copy of this ritual "songs for a dead king" tape. tracklist is as follows ;

Ritual ; Songs For a Dead King

Structure of My Madness
Human Sacrifice
Playtime
Manpower
Portrait
Cult
Brides
Closedown
Effigy
Waiting for the Man
End Product
Mind Disease
Assassin

so the first 6 tracks are the same as the demo tape mentioned on the deathrock site. probably the same versions , but i can't be sure. it's a mixture of studio and live cuts , with dialogue samples in between the tracks as if it was ready to be released. the sound is quite like (early) theatre of hate , powerful vocals over a pretty thunderous backing. shame this never got released as it would have gone down well i'm sure.

and yes that is the lou reed "waiting for the man". quite a good garage punk version. any more info on this from anyone out there would be appreciated.....

p

I would love a copy of this! Smile

There was also a Peel session from the end of 1981 that i don't have Sad

Great band indeed
paulrabjohn
King of Kings
King of Kings

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah you're dead right about a ritual peel session. recorded 14.2.81 , the tracks were

brides
human sacrifice
mind disease
playtime

would love a copy of this if anyone could assist. swop for a copy of the album maybe?

p
paulb
Bard
Bard

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: ritual Reply with quote

did Ritual do Kangaroo Court? I thought that was Sex Gang. I have a copy of the mind disease/nine single in front of me, what awful art work and in fact what an awful couple of songs, none of the catchy hooks or subtle melancholy of the other groups around at the time and at least the bombast of TOH had some style and political content attached. Wonder if i can sell it on ebay Laughing
paulrabjohn
King of Kings
King of Kings

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep , kangaroo court was a 3-track 12" by ritual , their second (and final) release. a lot of people seeme to rate that first 7" , sure you could sell it no bother. i think i prefer the 12" but i do have a soft spot for the band in general. bit unfair to compare them to TOH who were together much longer and had a big label backing them up. unlike most bands , ritual split on the way up so i guess we'll never quite know where they might have ended up.....

p
Green Gerg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulrabjohn wrote:
well i finally got round to burning a copy of this ritual "songs for a dead king" tape.
p

Hi, this is Greg Fasolino (of The Naked and the Dead, from a different thread).

Anyway, just wanted to note that I am the person who ripped these mp3s and made them available on Soulseek. I also provided the info on the tape to Mark from Deathrock.com.

I thought you might want to know the story of how the tape came into my possession.

Back in July 1984, I saw The Cult play their first US show at Danceteria in NYC, along with a crowd of about a dozen other people. One of them was this guy Tom Horan, who later became a close friend of mine. Anyway, I didn't know Tom then, but at this show, Tom befriended Jamie Stewart and ended up hanging out with them a bit on that tour. When Jamie returned to the UK, he sent Tom the "Songs for a Dead King" cassette, saying it was their "unreleased album." A year or so later, I dubbed it from Tom's tape, which has been lost.

In 2001, I had first bought a CD burner and the first thing I went to burn was the unreleased Ritual album. I went online to see if there was any info on it, and that's how I discovered Deathrock.com.

cheers
Greg
Green Gerg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulrabjohn wrote:
well funnily enough i found a copy of this "songs for a dead king" tape on soulseek last night p

Oh, I also was told by the actual title was "Songs for Dead Kings." Not 100% sure about that though... Sorry I don't have the original tape any more to refer back to...
paulrabjohn
King of Kings
King of Kings

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi greg

just thought i'd make a (belated) response as i just got round to downloading your "duel" covers off the website. not bad at all , was it hard to work out?

wonder what jamie ritual is up to now? i think he'd quit the cult long before the end and i never heard any more from them. i guess the cult have quit by now too ( probably a good idea , but its hard to kill these bands off) but the only solo "activity" i saw from any of them was mr astbury's pretty laughable jim morrison impersonation in the 20th Century Doors (good grief).

be nice to see sometihng from ritual actually available , not many bands do what they did and implode even before putting a first album out. i suspect that's a long shot , though i guess the band would be up for it if someone could get it together.

still no sign of that ritual peel session or any live tapes, any help with these would be much appreciated.

p
mickmercer
Druid
Druid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone told me just recently Jamie is married and lives in America, working in some teching-tech type job?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> In Excelsis General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: