UK Decay Forum Index UK Decay
UK DECAY COMMUNITIES 2008

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi PJ can you help me with my crackling sounds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> Music Production questions and answers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the cleaner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Hi PJ can you help me with my crackling sounds Reply with quote

ive got crackling sounds well heres the scenario

comp1 = 3.2 GHz p4, 1 gig DDR ram, radeon 9800 gfx, sb audigy LS sound card.

comp2 = 733 Mhz p3. 384 SDRAM, tnt2 gfx, sb 5.1 platinum

cubase 5r5 and cubasesx demo (free with sc)

ok. the problem is i seem to be getting crackles on recorded and imported audio on comp1, its only apparent in cubase tho. all other audio - cd's games have no sound probs at all. Why am i geting crackles on cubase? ive tried both the duplex and multimedia drivers and still getting crackles.

i really need some help as this is geting really annoying now.
PJ
King of Chav's
King of Chav's

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: hi cleaner Reply with quote

re crackling sounds,

well that could be a few things, i would try changing over you audio drivers you could try the kx drivers but it could be as simple as changing over from audigy to asio when using software synths or visa versa.
Also try to turn off some of the background services in you operating system. there are a few things you could do to free up your processor and help 5.1 and sx work better like turning off screen savers and background images on your desktop ill have a look for some tuning tips for you and get back to you ok cul8rs
PJ
King of Chav's
King of Chav's

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: tuning tips Reply with quote

ok tuning tips
1. Processor scheduling should be set to background services and not Programs.
Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance Settings > Advanced Tab > Background Services
2. Visual effects should be set to a minimum.
Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance Settings > Visual Effects Tab > Adjust for best performance
3. Switch Off Desktop Background Image
Right Click Desktop > Properties > Desktop Tab > Background None
4. Disable Screen Saver
Right Click Desktop > Properties > Screen Saver > None
5. Disable Fast User Switching
Start > Settings > Control Panel > User Accounts > Change the way users log on or off > Untick Use Fast User Switching
6. Switch Off Power Schemes
Start > Settings > Control Panel > Power Options > Always On > Turn off monitor and turn off hard discs to Never
7. Switch Off Hibernation
Start > Settings > Control Panel > Power Options > Hibernate > Untick Hibernation

6. Switch Off Power Schemes
Start > Settings > Control Panel > Power Options > Always On > Turn off monitor and turn off hard discs to Never
8. Activate DMA on Hard Discs/CD ROMS
Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers > Right Click Primary IDE channel and Secondary IDE channel > Properties > Advanced Settings Tab > Transfer Mode to "DMA if available" for both devices.
9. Disable System Sounds
Start > Settings > Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Sounds Tab > Sound Scheme to None
10. Do Not Map Through Soundcard
Start > Settings > Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Hardware Tab > (highlight your soundcard from the list) > Properties > Audio Devices > (highlight your soundcard from the list) > Properties, and check the "Do not map through this device" checkbox.
11. Disable System Restore
Start > Settings > Control Panel> System > System Restore Tab. Tick the "Turn off System Restore on all Drives
12. Disable Automatic Updates
Start > Settings > Control Panel> System > Automatic Updates > Turn off automatic updating. I want to update my computer manually
13. Startup and Recovery Options
Start > Settings > Control Panel> System > Advanced > Startup and Recovery Settings > Untick Automatically Restart
14. Disable Error Reporting
Start > Settings > Control Panel> System > Advanced > Error Reporting > Disable Error Reporting
15. Disable Remote Assistance
Start > Settings > Control Panel> System > Remote > Untick Allow remote assistance invitations to be sent from this computer
16. Fix Swap File (Virtual Memory)
Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance Settings > Advanced > Virtual Memory Change > Custom Size. Set initial and maximum size to the same value.
17. Speed Up Menus
Start > Run > Regedit > HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Control Panel > Desktop Folder. Set MenuShowDelay to 1
18. Disable Offline Files
Start > Settings > Control Panel > Folder Options > Offline Files Untick "Enable Offline Files"
19. Disable Remote Desktop
Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > Remote > Untick "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer
20. Disable Internet Synchronise Time
Start > Settings > Control Panel > Date and Time > Internet Time > Untick "Automatically synchronize with internet time server"
21. Disable Hide Inactive Icons
Start > Settings > Taskbar and Start Menu > Taskbar TAB > Uncheck "Hide Inactive Icons"
22. Disable Automatic Desktop Cleanup Wizard
Start > Settings > Control Panel > Display > Desktop > Customise Desktop > Untick "Run Desktop Cleanup Wizard every 60 days"
23. Disable NTFS Last Access Time Logging (NTFS File Systems Only)
Start > Run > regedit > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > System > CurrentControlSet > Control > Filesystem. Add a new DWORD value - "NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate" and set value to 1.
24. Disable Notification Area Balloon Tips
Start > Run > regedit > HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Explorer > Advanced. Create a new DWORD value called EnableBalloonTips and set to 0.
25. Disable CDROM Autoplay
Start > Run > regedit > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > System > CurrentControlSet > Services > Cdrom. Set autorun to 0
26. Disable Disc Indexing Service
Right Click Start > Explorer > Right Click Each Disc > Properties > Untick "Allow Indexing Service to index this disc for fast file searching"
OK so try doing that and remember to use your asio drivers
if this doesnt work dont put marmalade into the cd rom it really doesnt help ok laters...
spono

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Xp tuning tweeks Reply with quote

Xp tuning tweeks

I have dual booted my system so I have a 'Music' partition and a 'general Partition.
On my music partition as I have a 'Soundblaster' type card I have installed the 'KX' drivers.
The ordinary Creative drivers I have installed on my 'General' partition.

I can highly recomend The 'Tuning tweeks' that PJ posted above as I have followed these to a letter on my 'Music' partition which is used exclusivelly for making music. They get rid of all the Windows Xp consumer bullshit and you end up with a real fast sleek PC.

I do have however some music software on my 'General' partition which I use for internet Games whatever else, and the performance is definately a lot less without the tweeks.

perhaps we will look up 'How to dual boot your system' and figure more on it!
Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> Music Production questions and answers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: