UK Decay Forum Index UK Decay
UK DECAY COMMUNITIES 2008

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

whos listening to what now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> In The UK Decay Today!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blinkpoker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dottie your sort of right the 1st pressing of the league l.p has those lyrics then it was repressed with im your next door neighbour.... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
paulb
Bard
Bard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fully agree with you Dottie, the songs you mention are fantastic, as are Dark Entries, Crowds, all the stuff from In The Flat Field and quite a bit from the second album Mask. What concerns me most about going to the show (as well as being the only thirtynine year old in a sea of 16 year old goths) is that they will do loads of stuff from The Sky's Gone Out and Burning From The Inside, neither of which were any good at the time and certainly, unlike '....Flat Field' which could have been released this week, do not stand up now.

A couple of Bauhaus shows (one in Northampton, one at the Lyceum, still rate as best gigs I have ever been to so I am worried at walking away disapointed. I guess I should just go and have a look and stop thinking about it to much.

Still on Bauhaus, it's strange the way, compared to the almost deification of other, similar, bands from the period get from the press, Bauhaus have always been vilified as mere empty headed showbiz tat, Bowie copyists and glam revivers. They had a rought ride from the press from the outset and it continues to this day! I think it made their fan base all the more loyal though.
paulrabjohn
King of Kings
King of Kings

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey i bet there's nobody in that audience under 30 , these tours are pure nostalgia and i don't think a teenage goth would understand bauhaus at all , not enough body piercings by half Wink also you probably need to be in a job to afford a ticket......

a friend of mine went to one of their comeback gigs and said it was superb , i think its all the hits and early stuff. sure they won't drag out any of the later album tracks , nobody's come to see that.

like you say , the first 2 albums are great but the last 2 have been forgotten really. shame all a lot of people remember is the "ziggy" cover , which i suspect they regret as it pigeonholed them forever. no goth band ever really got much chance in the press , but they've made a pretty good 25 year career out of it so maybe they won in the end.

not seen bauhaus this time round but all the old timers i've seen recently could still do it live , the gang of four show i saw earlier this year was just amazing. go on , go for it and tell us all how it was. p
paulb
Bard
Bard

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you nkmow, I'm not so sure there will only be people of a certain age at the gig. I was at one of the pistols reunions and the crowd there was comprised mainly of under 25's. I know the pistols are a slightly different proposition (notorious the world over etc...) but to anyone who's 18 and into whatever bands are current in the goth world (I guess even Marylin Mansun is past it now) they must be interested in the provenance of that genre and that would have led them to Bauhaus at some point. Your right about the peircings though and generally pictures of Bauhaus in their prime would show a pretty standard punk band (by todays standards) which is anyway what I always like to remember Bauhaus as, rather than a goth band. If you remember early Bauhaus gigs (in fact really most of their gigs) the audience was a lagely punk audience, leathers and bum flaps and everything.

You're quite right about the whole press thing as well. Bauhaus got a bad ride along with many others from the period and no, it doesnt seem to have done them any harm. But it makes me wonder why when I think of the reverence bands like Joy Division are held in (i'm not suggest Bauhuas were as influential as JD or even any where near as good) I just wonder where the cut off point regarding the press was. When you think that even '...flat field' was absolutely vilified on release. I dont know maybe the press could see the flagrant use and abuse of past geres and styles but as a 13 year old boy listening for the first time it sounded quite unlike anything I'd heard in my life and was the most exciting, frightening, vicious music i ever expected to hear and songs like stigmatyr matyr still sound powerful today, in the end though, your right, the release of Ziggy signed there own death warrent as far as the press goes. They may have done it as an ironic answer to the constant accusations of being bowie copyists, they may have done it beause they saw they never had a chance with the press anyway, but whatever the reason, the NME, Sounds, MM all laid into them for ever more and it continues to this day in magazines like Q.
dottie
Minstrel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a gig like that you will find a general mix of generations. My eldest is 17 she is into Joy Div, bauhaus, cramps as well as korn, marilyn, wednesday 13 etc. She's going to see damned, motorhead and the fall this month. So I suppose she inherited her musical tastes and wants to see these bands as it maybe the last opportunity.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> In The UK Decay Today! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: