UK Decay Forum Index UK Decay
UK DECAY COMMUNITIES 2008

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gothic vs Gothic Punk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> Matters of 'Gothiquete'
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chriss
Bard
Bard

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Gothic vs Gothic Punk Reply with quote

This has been the raging source of many a late night debate between myself & my friend Paul.

My Opinion:

Gothic = Dead Can Dance, This Mortal Coil etc

Whereas Gothic Punk = Bauhaus, Sisters, March Violets etc...

Paul's opinion:

Gothic = Bauhaus, Sisters, March Violets etc...

Dead Can Dance, This Mortal Coil etc = Hippy / Folk music!

Just to clarify I'm 37 - Paul is 43 - He always used to refer to me as being a 'Diddy Goth'

Discuss?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, i'm a bit younger than you guys. But iv'e always classed the original post-punk bands as 'proper' goth.

Mind you, my mate Nile calls himself a 'post punk', even though he's into the early stuff same as me, trying to distance himself from a lot of the tat that appeared later, think. Back in the late '80's he was happy being termed a goth, but when manson, 13 candles etc came about, he changed his mind! Wink

Nowerdays, a lot of goths haven't even heard of UK decay, 1919, ausgang etc, so i'm happy to add 'punk' onto the 'goth' bit.

Iv'e always classed the cocteau's, DCD etc as etherial Gothic (but still part of an overall Gothic Rock term).

And yeah, sisters and Violets are definetly Gothic Rock.
bonzi
Druid
Druid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: post punk? Reply with quote

i still stayed a punk yet went to see bands like xmal deutchland , flesh for lulu , crown of thorns, skeletal family,lords of the new church, sisters etc, i feel all these bands progressed from punk, yet it was the 80s, so much going on.
i had a few punk friends who turned goth, so in between going to punk gigs i went and saw these bands, many played at our local venue friars in aylesbury.especially bauhaus.
its hard to say which is best and who had most influence. it depends on taste, everyone has their own ideas. like punk i hated bands like crass, yet would choose uk subs or vibrators any day.

anyway just an opinion. Wink
bonzi
Druid
Druid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: post punk nile? Reply with quote

is that nile from northampton?
hello, i heard nile was into elton john when he was younger, you will find his collection of spandau ballet, and right said fred at the back of his wardrobe.
seriously nile has good taste in what he calls post punk, im that much older so have seen many of these bands. i could never get into the eyeliner.
scary girl
Druid
Druid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Paul Smile

I'm 28 Embarassed

wasn't there a definition from the Batcave called Death Punks? I was told about it once.. Smile
nydecay

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well gothic punk should have some punk in it so sisters are not gothic punk imo

gothic punk = UK Decay, Ausgang, X-Ray spex (even), Inca Babies, Birthday Party

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ghost
Bard
Bard

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Ray Specs, goths... now I never saw that angle before. Still, love em to bits.

Twisted Evil

Dr. Strangelove
scary girl
Druid
Druid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost wrote:
X-Ray Specs, goths... now I never saw that angle before. Still, love em to bits.

Twisted Evil

I can't help but agreeing with you, sir Smile

[Dead and buried was amazing and apparently I had an excellent feedback from loads of people, so might happene again! this time Spon (are you reading this mr ?) Tibor and you MUST be there wiv all of us Smile

"car crash" was apreciated btw Smile ]
Nuzz
Minstrel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Labels, labels, labels. It's all Rock'n'Roll.

http://nuzzprowlinwolf.blogspot.com/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> Matters of 'Gothiquete' All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: