UK Decay Forum Index UK Decay
UK DECAY COMMUNITIES 2008

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Godfathers of Goth
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> Matters of 'Gothiquete'
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ghost
Bard
Bard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note the subtle use of inverted commas! LOL

And try saying it after several pints of larfing brew!

Dr. Strangelove
scary girl
Druid
Druid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been told that Chris Reed PROBABLY is going to have a gig in Slimes (awww!!)
with Skeletal Family, which they are already playing there on the 17 of march. I'll post the details in the evant page as soon as I have all the infos. Smile)

Amongst all the band RLYL and Sisters were a bit more known than other no? in my opinion Smile)
D
Priestess
Priestess

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Scarygirl, I managed to miss the inverted commas (it's not as if they were hidden). D'oh!
D
Priestess
Priestess

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and also managed to press submit before finishing... Even when sober, I can't even pronounce or write Red Lolly Yerrow L... See?!

Do you think some of The Three Johns thing was down to being from the north or not part of the Batcave cliquè, something to do with their politics or because the drum machine wasn't photogenic enough?
scary girl
Druid
Druid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The three Johns was more typical from the Leeds area sound, weren't they?
(btw check the website, they seem to be around again...)
it's all a typical sounds, less sleazy more political than the batcave with Speciamen and such.
A bit more self counscious and introspective then ASF, Specimen, ...
RLYL yes always I stumble on those words! :p
I think they did it on purpose!
saw them couple of years ago in Italy, amazing gig Smile)
talking of the "norther" sounds what about Rubella Ballet?
D
Priestess
Priestess

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weren't Rubella Ballet from London?

TBH, until I got broadband I'd not been able to follow things for the last 10 years or so and it's been a bit of a surprise to find that some bands are still going or even still remembered. Most of the bands I like(d), were hardly well known in Britain, never mind in Italy.

The last UK band I saw was Radiohead in Ferrara (near Bologna) about three years ago. The "amazing" thing (for me at least) was that there were only 5000 tickets, which to see a band like that is unuasually intimate in these days of big festivals and so on.

Where in Italy did you see RLYL?
scary girl
Druid
Druid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen them 2 or 3 years ago in Mestre, near Venice Smile

what ather band were you saying you like(d) which were not known in uk/italy?

and yes Rubella were from London, got the wrong infos off someone else... uhm.. Embarassed
scary girl
Druid
Druid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone for Deamon Preacher? Smile)
Nick Fiend band before Alien Sex Fiend.

fabulous! Smile
bonzi
Druid
Druid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: goth scene. post punk? Reply with quote

oh yes i remember these years well. i was still a punk. the punk scene went a bit underground, although still around. the bigger venues played host bands like bauhaus/sisters of mercy to pack them out.
i liked a lot of these bands. so went to see most of what was around then.
loved skeletal family/xmal deutchland/flesh for lulu. yet the klubfoot in hammersmith would still have the occasional punk bands.
a lot of punk bands still played in pubs. fulham greyhound was a regular venue i went too and the marquee in wardour street.
our local venue friars in aylesbury always put a good mix of bands on, until it closed. you could see antything from punk/goth. to eurythmics etc.
apart from maggie thatcher being in power the 1980s were good for music.
when seditionaries changed to worlds end and started selling pirate style clothes, i think that was the start of the new romantic scene.
also we used to go to the music machine in camden town after burning down became camden palace, there was a big new romantic scene there.
now its called koko. whatever the club is now.

there's me going on and on. a lot of my punk friends turned goth.
seeing changes in bands was a big difference. we saw adam and the ants in 1978. they had a big punk following. but they changed so much. from dirk wears white sox, to the pop music. antmusic etc.
is that the reason for the pirate clothes?
anyway .
bye for now.
im an old git.
D
Priestess
Priestess

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was all to do with Malcolm McLaren when he took the Ants from Adam and gave them a 14 year old singer. The pirate thing sounds very contrived (it was) but was tied up with this idea that cassettes were going to take over from vinyl. They released a cassette single (a "cassingle") called Your Cassette Pet with about 8 tracks on it. The supposed idea was that music was disposable and after you'd finished listening you could put your own stuff on it. They also released a single C30 C60 C90 Go! or WTF it was called, which is all about this - pirating stuff - hence dressing as pirates, which the new Adam and The Ants were into as well. Of course, others were inspired not so much by the pirating thing as the dressing up, hence all the bands into apache and "native american indian" influences. It was all around the time that there was the Home Taping Is Killing Music campaign, as well as the Federation Against Copyright Theft going mad about Video Piracy. Same old arguments then as now...

How can I remember this anorak stuff from 25+ years ago, when now I can't remember where I left my (more important) door keys yesterday?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> Matters of 'Gothiquete' All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: