UK Decay Forum Index UK Decay
UK DECAY COMMUNITIES 2008

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Godfathers of Goth
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> Matters of 'Gothiquete'
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blinkpoker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the trouble with country music is there is a hell of a lot of shit but sift through it and there are one or two gems...know what you mean about p.i.l..the l.p that i'm playing a lot of is the unreleased joy division first .l.p when they we're known as warsaw.....
paulb
Bard
Bard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, a lot of shit to sift though, although I must admit to staying out of the bulk of it, and just sticking to the barely country (jayhawks, wilko, golden smog, whiskytown etc.) and Gram Parsons, who knew when a pedal steel was appropriate and could break your heart with some of the lyrics.

Warsaw album never heard, although I have heard the design for living ep. which was pretty good
jay wolfendale

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: music links Reply with quote

Well here's a funny thing. Taking it that Gothic doesn't have to mean pointy boots, crimped hair and clanging guitars, what about the 70's disco classic by Cerrone, 'Super Nature' ? The subject matter alone kinda lends itself to a gothic description, and it was after all written by the wonderful Lena Lovich. She is definitely gothic, i've been to her house for lunch and she goes down the shops, does the cooking etc in her outfits, looking like a vampire from bram stokers dracula film. Lives in an old Victorian vicarage too. 70'S disco diva i surely am......J x.
navigator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Godfathers of Goth? I think they were possibly the earliest band to be termed Goth - there was a SOUNDS piece that said "The face of la Punk Gothique" (or words to that effect) although the photo of Abbo had him in army jacket and Reagan mask! I think there was no real 'Founding Fathers/Mothers' of Goth because there was a few bands Decay, Bauhaus, K Joke, all doing their own thingg influenced by Pil & the banshees & being a lot more Arty/Literary influenced by the Punk stuff they were maybe listening to - it's only afterwards that a group of bands began to be influenced by them and a sort of uniform (of sorts) emerged that the music Press started talking to goth as a 'movement' - the Music Press has to because it's easier for their lizard Brains to understand things if they're all in a big lump...but look at at the difference in sound of the bands - same as Punk - look at all the wierd offshoots of that - that crasss could come out of something like the Pistols/Clash is quite odd really...sermon over!
Danse Society

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The godfathers?
Got to be Danse Society!!!!!!!!
No it is Bauhaus by a mile
Matthew North

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings All,

Arthur Brown invented Goth, Plane and Simple

Best

Matt
werewolf
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: The first Goth no. one ! Reply with quote

The first Goth number one !

Yes 1962 was the year!
The True Story of Bobby 'Boris' Pickett and the Crypt-Kickers and the Monster Mash

'It was a graveyard Smash'
It caught on in a flash'

Got to number One in the UK within 8 weeks of release...

Go to the 'Monster MaSH sITE'

Oh yes the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band did a terrific version of that song
in 1969
bEAT tHAT! lol at least in the overall Rock Music Genre!
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Visit The new UK Decay Communities
jay wolfendale

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: monster mash Reply with quote

Aha ! there's a funny thing, not only is arthur my dad, but i have the original 45 of monster mash, in mint condition. Does that make me a Goth then ? Bit after my time really, or is that before ? ! x
jay wolfendale

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: latest Reply with quote

is it me or what about Nick Cave ? Whilst I well remember him supporting the chronic outbursts in Leighton, His 'Murder Ballads' LP is as gothic as a gothic thing. How dark has it got to be ?.....x
dahei
Druid
Druid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cave rehashes old blue numbers , the amount of old blues numbers you can find that share titles with nick cave songs takes the piss
my friend [ god rest his soul] mo always said he was howling wolf re-hashed .
mo played guitar on shane's first solo album the snake , i have a recording of him , cave and shane doimg a frank sinatra song off a cave album
cave weren't about bats or vampires

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> Matters of 'Gothiquete' All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: