UK Decay Forum Index UK Decay
UK DECAY COMMUNITIES 2008

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Switch club! Does anybody Remmember?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> FRIENDS! Post your profiles here!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
werewolf
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject: The Switch club! Does anybody Remmember? Reply with quote

Does anybody Remmember the Switch club?

The 'Switch Club' was a pretty regular and popular event in Luton and the Home counties UK during the Eighties. Playing a blend of 'Alternative' 'New Romantic' 'Post Punk' and of course 'Goth' as well. With regular DJ's and emprassarios 'Nicky Zinnamos' , 'Bernie' and other assorted guests! Large crowds would decend for the weekly events and often there would coach trips laid on for out of town events.

There must be many out there who would perhaps have memories of this club and we think this might be a very good place to maybe 're-connect'.

We know of couples that have been together and married for years that first met-up at the 'Switch Club'

Post UK Decay in Luton the 'Switch Club' relished in the vibrant lively atmosphere of the town and it was not uknown for members of UK Decay to be often seen 'letting down their hair' on their rare nights ofF their!

So If you Remmember 'The Switch' please click the 'post reply' tab below and let us know! (if there is enough interest we shall open a new forum on the topic!)

Okkeedokee Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Visit The new UK Decay Communities
tonyhippy

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Years of Switch Reply with quote

I started going about '84, when the club was at the Elephant and Tassle and stuck with it through all the changes of venue until just before Bernie moved away in (was it) '97(?). I met my other 'alf at the Switch at Mirage on New Year's Eve '95. Along with 33 Arts Centre it formed the backbone of my social life for over a decade and through it I met thousands of interesting people over the years, so I'll be watching this thread and hoping to hear from a few old friends. E-mail me at
tonyhippy@yahoo.com
jediboyuk

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: The Switch Reply with quote

I started going late '84 when I was 16 and it was wild! The most amazing collage of weird and wonderful people I'd met outside of my parents' hippy friends. I drank LOTS of DRINKS, got into lots of bands, and dyed my hair various colours. It was where I learnt about wearing makeup as a boy, lots of new bands, subcultures, and of course...GIRLS! It was a life experience, that club, and we all came away changed! I started working for them shortly after going there and we used to go to Oxford on a Sunday as well as The Junction in Cambridge and the Northampton Roadmenders. It was brought back for a while at the Five 0 Club where the local trendy fucksticks were kind enough to slash my face open on one night when they invaded and I was working, but that's the town, not the club, which was an exceptionally friendly place (politics aside). Great bands too, and it got a second lease of life at Mirage Nightclub too! I still go out in Luton occasionally and enjoy the odd Goth night, but they're not THE SWITCH! Kudos to Nick Zinonos & Berni James for that one. All my best and most cherished mates and girlfriends I met there! Oh, and the coolest tunes anywhere on the planet. WORLD OF TWIST RULE!!!
werewolf
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Did The Switch finish as late as '97'? Reply with quote

Did The Switch finish as late as '97'?
tonyhippy wrote:
.........at the Elephant and Tassle and stuck with it through all the changes of venue until just before Bernie moved away in (was it) '97(?).....

anyone remember the time and place of the Last Switch Club event!?

Nice to see you here "jediboyuk"! sorry to hear about your incident with the 'fucksticks' at the 'Five o club' that's life in Luton for you... I guess if you've survived in Luton for all these years you must have a special kind of toughened resilience. Look forward to some lively debate!

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Visit The new UK Decay Communities
nephilimbabe

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: The Switch Reply with quote

Oh happy days. 1985 was the start of my new alternative social life and the blueprint to the soundtrack of my life.
After leaving school and starting working in the alcohol aisle of Tesco's I was introduced to this cool goth called Karl. He informed of this goth club under the Arndale called The Elephant And Tassle. After visiting for the first time in the summer of '85 and being lucky enough to obtain a membership straight away, I was born again. Can't think of a bad night or memory (except being there with certain girlfriends!)
Every week the psychobillys used to fight amongst themselves, being completely absorbed with Lord Doom's poetry (I wonder were he is now?) and possibly watching Creaming Jesus for the first time (but this is a very vague memory!) I met & made some of my closest friends in 1986/87.
Eventually a stabbing forced the venue to close in 1987, but was later moved to Dallas 5'O club (of which is now demolished.) Sadly after it's move Bernie became more interested in Manchester/Indie music, and the club lost it's gothism. Luckily, it hosted more live bands than before, with Thee Hypnotics (blowing the main fuse!), Creaming Jesus (again) Sensless Things, Salvation, Claytown Troupe, Mega City Four just to name a few.
I never followed The Switch Club once it moved to Mirage as it was totally indie, and The Hatters & Hemingways were then up & running and were a better alternative for a goth.
I admit, after reading the other posts and with alternative clubs being few & far between these days (especailly in Luton) that we'll never get back those heady days. Thank God for The Coven.
Yamon

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Switch.

Ah The Switch, what fond memories I have of that hallowed place. I know I was a late comer and only started going when it was held at the old 5'0 but it was a life-changing place for me. Left school, went to college, dicovered that Luton actually had an alternative scene and revelled in it's madness as much as possible. Met some people that I still reguard as good mates, danced like a loon with my fiance, dressed like a twat and was able to get away with it, generally had a bloody good laugh.

A Night at The Switch
depicted with emoticons

2 man down Super Partyman Rolling eyes Shocked Vomit Laughing

I had my first joint in that place too, so as you can imagine it holds a certain spot in my heart. Oxford on a Sunday was a hoot. Shame I had to drive but it was always with a full car so fun was guaranteed.

Too many memories to be able to post 'em all.

Yes, this deserves it's own special thread.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good club that switch i went there a couple of times fair play to burnie and nick for running it for so long if you read this burnie nick hope your well and still keeping it real nice one.
shane mcgowan
Wink
brilliant guest
Minstrel

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 2:00 am    Post subject: Yeas I remmember The Switch Reply with quote

I used to go there when it was at the Elephant and Tassle, and I remmember Lord Doom being there. Had some great times.
wonder wat Nick'n'Bernie are up to now?
tonyhippy
Bard
Bard

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes see Nick in the Well, As for Bernie, he married the manageress of the Oxford club and moved down to Essex where he has two kids and last I heared was working as an estate agent.
Mervin
Minstrel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Burnie baby its your old friend clart here hows it going you funky devil...CLICK HERE BABY! prayer

Burnie married with two kids omg i would never have thought it

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> FRIENDS! Post your profiles here! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: