UK Decay Forum Index UK Decay
UK DECAY COMMUNITIES 2008

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'The Friction'
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> FRIENDS! Post your profiles here!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
werewolf
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 2:35 am    Post subject: 'The Friction' Reply with quote

'The Friction'

Anyone remmember 'The Friction', Luton band from 1979?

and

'The Friction now have their own website
'The Friction'

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Visit The new UK Decay Communities

Last edited by werewolf on Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Friction Reply with quote

Still see Roger Holdstock
rogerholdstock
Priestess
Priestess

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: I was The Friction! Reply with quote

The Friction formed in 1978: Cary Graves (guitar), Roger Holdstock (vocals), Colin Salmon (drums) and Mark White (bass). We organised and debuted at the infamous 1979 Luton Town Hall gig, along with the Statics, UKDKand the Clips. Luton Council immediately banned all 'punk' from its premises! 2nd gig at Richmond Hill School for the Mentally Handicapped for French exchange kids - imagine that if you can. Mark was on holiday so Cary switched to bass and Phil Imber (the Jets) guested on guitar.

We played all the usual Luton venues: Baron of Beef, Christchurch, 33 Arts Centre, etc. and recorded "Murder" at Quest Studios (anybody got a copy?????) 25 years ago today! We started to spread our wings and in 1980 played Bossard Hall, Leighton Buzzard (supporting UKDK), and other pubs and clubs in Dunstable and London. Colin and Mark were both squatting in Camden by now and Cary had moved out of Luton, but lost his licence. The Friction fell apart.

Cary now lives in the middle of Nowhere, NSW, Australia, Colin in Notting Hill (you will have seen him on tv oin James Bond films), Mark sadly suffered a serious stroke in the far east and is now confined to a wheelchair in a Surrey nursing home, and I do nothing.
werewolf
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:15 am    Post subject: Hello and welcome Roger..and infamous Town Hall gig! Reply with quote

Hello and welcome Roger..and infamous Town Hall gig!
Quote:
The Friction formed in 1978: Cary Graves (guitar), Roger Holdstock (vocals), Colin Salmon (drums) and Mark White (bass). We organised and debuted at the infamous 1979 Luton Town Hall gig, along with the Statics, UKDKand the Clips. Luton Council immediately banned all 'punk' from its premises!

Wellcome Roger..great to see you here!
and thanks for filling us in with information on 'The Friction'. we are saddened to hear about Mark, but at least Cary managed an escape-but where exactly is the 'middle of nowhere', in NSW Australia?
Colin, well 'will the next James Bond' please stand up! its 'Much respect' to you 'Sir'!
We Cant imagine you not doing anything Roger..!! but we know your sense of Humour! Very Happy
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

werewolf
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:30 am    Post subject: Re Town Hall GiG Reply with quote

the infamous 1979 UK Decay, Friction,Town Hall GiG

The aftermath of the 'Infamous 1979 Luton Town Hall Punk Rock gig'

Yes found this pic of Luton Town Hall after the 'infamous' punk gig of 1979. In front of the Town Hall there were 345 firemen and 200 riot squad! Thought it would be nice to post it here! That was the last time that any kind of 'Punk' music, was ever played there!

rattus norvegicus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Roger

You asked if anyone had a copy of 'Murder' - I still have the pink single that you gave me when it was first pressed. It still has the pink music label with no info as to what's on it. I remember you, The Clips and The Jets - who were the other band? - possibly from Leighton Buzzard?

You forgot to mention the 'Radioactive Flourescent Crunchy Frogs' from the Town Hall gig.

For anyone that's interested I've also found a copy of The Cinematics EP
'Farewell To The Playground' - with cover photography by Mark White.

Rat
blink poker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a couple of years ago i purchased a series of l.ps called teenage treats volumes 1-3 one of them contains murder by the friction and also there is a cracking song called ultimatum by a band called klips 88 on luton based pink records could anyone tell me if this is the clips Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
rogerholdstock
Priestess
Priestess

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rat, the other group was Paranoia, from Dunstable. The Jets were called the Tee Vees on the ep, and released that track as a b-side of a single on Good Vibrations. A-side was "Block 4".

Blind Poker, do you still have those lp's? Do you want to sell the one with The Friction on it. I've been looking for ages without success.....
werewolf
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re Klips Reply with quote

Re Klips
Quote:
couple of years ago i purchased a series of l.ps called teenage treats volumes 1-3 one of them contains murder by the friction and also there is a cracking song called ultimatum by a band called klips 88 on luton based pink records could anyone tell me if this is the clips

Yes Almost certainlly is! if it is on 'Pink'...that was Phil Imber and 'the Jets' label..released more or less at the same time in Luton as 'The Split single' Laughing Twisted Evil

blink poker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerholdstock wrote:
Rat, the other group was Paranoia, from Dunstable. The Jets were called the Tee Vees on the ep, and released that track as a b-side of a single on Good Vibrations. A-side was "Block 4".

Blind Poker, do you still have those lp's? Do you want to sell the one with The Friction on it. I've been looking for ages without success.....

roger,
sorry i'm a bit of a vinyl junkie,but what i can do is do you a compilation of them on c.d let me know via www.thepokers.co.uk leave your e-mail address on this site and i'll sort it out for you... Twisted Evil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> FRIENDS! Post your profiles here! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: