UK Decay Forum Index UK Decay
UK DECAY COMMUNITIES 2008

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stevenage PUnx kick LutoN PuNx
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> In The UK Decay Today!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulb
Bard
Bard

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Stevenage PUnx kick LutoN PuNx Reply with quote

ha, thought that might get a few of you looking at this thread Smile great site, still love listening to bands like UK decay today as well as more contemporary stuff. I have yet to get some UK decay on CD, can anyone tell me if a retrospective package is available, including all the singles, but not live? I grew up and spend most of my time as a punk in stevenage, not too far away from Luton but it doesnt seem to register on this site, although UK Decay played the Bowes Lyon centre at least twice that I saw. Not many other venues though and so most of the time was spent on the train to kings cross from where we would go to the Moonlight Club, klub Foot at the Clarendon, The Rock Garden and the Tunnel and many others. God you could go out and see a new exiting band every night of the week (I remember one week seeing the Birthday Party and the Virgin Prunes, Bauhaus (they were doing The Lyceum by then) and then 13th Chime at the Moonlight, i have no idea how i funded that constant gigging!)
Anyways, good site, interesting to see so many people still into this stuff, even though were all probably at least mid thirties now, not that that matters. BTW I live now in Northampton and there is a club here called Shakedown Sister, every friday at the Black Sheep Venue, its great for hearing contemporary indie as well as stuff like UK Decay, Joy Division, Bauhaus, TOH etc... gives even old geezers a chance to jump around a bit!
werewolf
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Hi Paul b welcome to UK Decay Communities Stevenage at last! Reply with quote

Hi Paul b welcome to UK Decay Communities Stevenage at last!

Hi Paul
Great to hear from someone from Stevenage!
Stevenage featured prominently in Abbo’s repertoire of name checks
announced between songs played at live gigs, eg, the current ‘Nights for
Celebration’ presentation!
There were often many Punks from Stevenage at UK Decay gigs
including members from ‘Chron Gen’ ( Jon Thurlow etc, where are you
now?) and ‘Decay’ did play at Bowes Lyon twice!

There is a project currently happening in Stevenage that is being funded
by a grant. The Project’s mission will be to portray Stevenage’s Musical
history. Apparently, a number of films have shown up from the vaults of
Bowes Lyon looked after for all these years by a one Mr Jim Hodgskinson
who used to be the manager.

Throughout 4 decades, as you mentioned hundreds of bands played
there ranging from The Who (played there 3 times in the 60’s!
apparently, naming their album ‘Quadraphenia’ after Stevenage!) to
90’s Drum n Bass bash's featuring all the major D n B players including
Stevenage’s own ‘Moving Shadows’ (Rob Playford, the main man here.
Also the main technowhizzkid, behind Goldie!)

All of this will be included in the final film, which looks like it will be
shown on the Sky Community channel next year!

There may even be some Uk Decay video footage included
See Here (from another forum thread)

Your right though Paul, there hasn't thus far been too much mention
of the Stevenage Punks...

So 'Lets Have you!'....Stevenage!!!
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Visit The new UK Decay Communities
Leopold

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Stevenage Punks Reply with quote

Hello! Ok, so this thread is a bit old, but as an ex Stevenage Punk I thought I'd just say hi and mention I saw UK Decay twice at Bowes - I remember on one occasion Abbo swinging his studded belt around and around in the air and inciting the audience to follow suite ... or at least I think I do, it was quite some time ago! Can't remember which gig it was, but Pneumania supported, with singer Elaine pregnant but still able to command the audience who demanded encore after encore.
Ah, happy days indeed!
paulb
Bard
Bard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Leopold,

Would we have known each other then? Who did you hang out with?
Nuzz
Minstrel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Know this thread is even older than when Leopold looked at it, but new technology sometimes takes time to get to the old skool. I'm looking for any one who can add to my memories from gigs at Bowes Lyon House, Stevenage between 1980-1995 for website I'm working on. I know you must have Leopold, cos we used to hang out together if I'm not much mistaken. I seem to remember lots of scraps between LU7 Punks and skinheads from Stondon and Stevenage, mind you the skins used to scrap with everyone, any one remember The Meteors gigs fight between bands and The Bedwell teds ?

Now living with a different fear
paulrabjohn
King of Kings
King of Kings

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only gig i ever saw at bowes lyon house was the final play dead gig , this is probably of some interest to you as they actually released it as a live album (called "final epitaph"). i'd guess this was the only recording made there that ever got released(?)

i saw play dead several times , but can't think of too many specific memories from the stevenage gig. i used to really like play dead , but i havn't played a record by them in years funnily. great live band in their day but the records never quite captured them so well. p
Nuzz
Minstrel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that snippet, was aware that Playdead recorded live album at Bowes, never seen a copy though, they were a fine band 'propaganda', a killer track.
blinkpoker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

only went there 3 times i saw u.k decay there ,peter and the test tube babies there and was lucky enough to actually play there with the rattlesnakes supporting the stingrays... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Bugsy
Merlin
Merlin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't we play there with Remnants Blink?
blinkpoker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not that i remember bugsy,
the only place i recall playing outside of luton with remnants was milton keynes.. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> In The UK Decay Today! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: