UK Decay Forum Index UK Decay
UK DECAY COMMUNITIES 2008

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

THe Statics (or Candy stripe and the Statics or Statix!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> FRIENDS! Post your profiles here!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
werewolf
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Picture of LOL Turvey Reply with quote

Picture of LOL Turvey

Pic. by Alan Hussey with thanks.
Not sure where the venue is but nice pic of Lorraine here in her more usual
role of singing and playing the guitar!.
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Visit The new UK Decay Communities
jay wolfendale

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Statics Reply with quote

Yep, they were indeed the best Luton Band(sorry Spon !).Holy Moly i was crazy about Lol. My brother went out with her mate Sandra. I used to have their name on the back of my leather jacket, and on the sleeve of an army raincoat that someone stole after a gig at the luton poly ! i have a copy of their demo which Lol gave me a few years ago. I always thought that their best song, apart from Night movies and Mickey Mouse glass, was Teresa - fuckin' excellent. If i remember correctly my older brother Ali used to play Bass for them, and Clive was their drummer. At the start anyway....
Alan
Druid
Druid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: LOL pic Reply with quote

I took the pic at "The Kingsway" in Luton........

............Alan Hussey Cool
jay wolfendale

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Statics /Decay/Mad Dave & everything Reply with quote

Hey Spon, listen , about my above message, let me ramble a bit...........I was listening to my 21 track dk compilation cd today and it got me thinking.....When i started out being a punk, the first band i saw ,where i knew anybody was the Statics, courtesy of my brother Ali and Clive their drummer. I guess the first contact with a real band is always a seminal moment. Bearing in mind that before that i'd just been listening to Led Zepp.The who, The Pistols, Adverts etAl, The Statics were excellent. I thought all bands played the same way, and Eric was a very good rock guitarist. And of course, I thought Lol was beautiful, which she is.
The first person to play me Dk was Dave, and on his old binatone record player, that split single didn't sound ..monumental. Still, if he liked Dk then i thought i should see them. I can't remember where the first time was, but I sure got it then. Stood there with Dave and Jon Dawson, I thought Abbo sounded a bit like Adam Ant but better, and Spon, blimey, that guitar, he didn't play like anyone else that i'd heard,(maybe you chopped away like Townsend but i hadn't thought of that then) all the other 'punk 'bands were rock dressed up really. But this was different, anarchic...The intro to 'Sexual' ,'Middle of the Road Man' and stuff was incredible, Abbo's voice was,as Rocky said ,'Whip it up Janet Baby',Spon's Jangling crashing guitar, Steve's Tribal drumming the whole thing just put the hairs up on the back of your neck. I can remember the feeling of anticipation growing with the intro volume at those gigs, you could feel it in the air, the Statics didn't do that.....
You know what, When Dave was little his favourite band was Sweet. Yeah i know their best were written by Chinnichap, but they were also about fighting and had sort of tribal drumming and thrashing chords. Dave also told me once that his favourite sound was that of breaking glass, so i wonder if those crashing broken chords of yours rang some sort of bell....Obviously Dave was not a violent person, and always did his best to play down his reputation, but you ask any of the surviving Leighton Boxers, Big Jack or Leigh, and they all say the same - 'Dave Barr ? Hard man'.A good one too......
Anyway, listening to that CD now still does it for me.....When are you gonna do a gig for all those who still love what you do, like me ....?
steve spon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:24 am    Post subject: Hey jay Reply with quote

Hey jay
no worries mate! we all have the things that mean something deep within
our hearts and memories, the Staticss were really special
I too had a soft spot for 'sweet ' when I was younger, I saw them at the
Cali. I didnt know Dave was into them as well, I ll be damned.
I see heeps of bands in the years before punk took off at the Queensway
hall and Cali and it is a real shame those venues are gone.
Thanks for tcompliments mate.
Hey the last time I picked a guitar up, my 3rd finger dropped of after
ten minutes playing so I will have to play with only two strings from
now on.
Seriously, That is a question a lot of people ask, the last gig I played
was with Nostramus at the 3rd Free the spirit fezzie at the long meadow
farm in 1999, but i was mainly on keyboards then.
Never say never is something that seems to ring true with me and the
truth of the matter to the question of when I may do another gig, is I
simply dont know! I would like to think so but at the moment there is
nothing planned, but you never know.
Anyway take good care
spon
jay wolfendale

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Book Reply with quote

Hey Spon, what a lovely reply, thankyou.How proud does that make me ? very proud. I'm writing a book Spon, it's got all the usual suspects in it, plus a lot more. Is there an email address i can send it to for you to look at ? you gave me your card at Dave's funeral, but with 2 house moves since , i cannot find it anywhere. I'd value your opinion...j .
steve spon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Hi Jay Reply with quote

Yes email address
stevespon@ukdecay.co.uk

drop us a line!

Laughing
El Capitano

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:33 am    Post subject: Mr. Wolfendales book Reply with quote

Quote:
Hey Spon, what a lovely reply, thankyou.How proud does that make me ? very proud. I'm writing a book Spon, it's got all the usual suspects in it, plus a lot more. Is there an email address i can send it to for you to look at ? you gave me your card at Dave's funeral, but with 2 house moves since , i cannot find it anywhere. I'd value your opinion...j .

Well how time has flown.. I must know you but I cant place the face.
Just like to say that Ive just scanned your manuscript, and well I'll be blowed! What a rollicking tale of those days of yore. Seems like yesterday. I must tell you my memories of the bedford incident one day.
I will give it a good scrute. the ,your book that is, and let u know how it rocks. luv and fangs for the mammaries the capitan ( never made admiral)
jay wolfendale

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:01 am    Post subject: hello Reply with quote

hello Captain, ooh how the past creeps up on us. I only ever met you 3 or 4 times, i was only ever a visitor in Luton, so i'm not surprised you can't remember me....Spon has my address/ phone, looks like i'll see you soon j x
werewolf
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Well El Capitain Reply with quote

Well El Capitain

In refference to this quote

El Capitain wrote:
I must tell you my memories of the bedford incident one day.

I am sure theres a lot of folk out there who would like to hear of your
memories of the bedford incident!

So.....
Lets have them! Laughing Laughing

Visit The new UK Decay Communities

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> FRIENDS! Post your profiles here! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: