UK Decay Forum Index UK Decay
UK DECAY COMMUNITIES 2008

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

segovia and DK bassmen
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> In The UK Decay Today!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulrabjohn
King of Kings
King of Kings

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject: segovia and DK bassmen Reply with quote

so , whatever happened to segovia then? i heard a tale that the reason he quit was that the band went full time and he wouldn't pack his job in. though maybe that is just a story....... never heard of him ever again.

i've always been confused as to who was playing bass between segovia leaving and twiggy joining. i think creeton played the US tour and then one UK tour (spring 81?) , plus he plays on side 1 of the album. but Lol was on bass for a bit ; was that between creeton and twiggy?

there's a much-printed promo pic of the band with Lol , this got used in zigzag. but i've never seen a picture or any mention of her playing gigs. whereas creeton i had never seen a pic of before the (excellent) ones on this site. can someone fill in the story as to who was playing when?

cheers , p
werewolf
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 3:53 am    Post subject: 'Segovia' is alive and well..still living in Luton! Reply with quote

'Segovia' is alive and well..still living in Luton!

Segovia left the band at the end of 1980 shortlly after the 'Dead Kennedys' tour which in my reckoning would mean somewhere near the end of 1980.
Contrary to press reports that may have sourced their original information back to a slievenote on the 'Unexpected Guest/Dresden' single,check it here
After leaving UK Decay to persue his personal life and career in Architechture 'Seggy' formed a new band '24 Colours' which went on to play in Luton and area for the majority of the 80's.

Loraine Turvey, who played guitar and sang with a band called 'The Statics', stood in for an already planned tour of Europe in January 1981. There has just been a text transcription of a Sounds article by Steve Keaton of this period in the bands history go there. There is also a pic in the Gallery go there
Lol didnt hang about after UK Decay returned from Europe, she may have played a couple of UK gigs on the return, but she had already made up her mind not to join the band.
At this time ( around March 1981) the band went into the Studio to start the recording of 'For Madmen Only', without a bass player. Spon played 'guide' bassline's to get the work going, also at this time, Decay started 'auditioning' bassplayers.
A few weeks later, work on the album had to cease when the band (april 1981 ) embarked on a tour of the US using 'Creeton Chaos' ( from Social Unrest) to play Bass. Creeton returned to the UK with Decay to play on the Summer headline tour with 'The Dark' and 'Play Dead' in support. He also resumed in the studio for the ongoing work on the Album ( cant actually remember what he recorded...maybe the 12" 'Unexpected Guest') before returning to the US, summer 1981.
It was following this that Graham Bentley told us about this chap in Northampton who was keen to play Bass for Decay, so a hastily organised audition took place and the rest is history! Eddie 'Twiggy' Branch joined the band and the album was completed within a couple of months!
that was the line-up for the band for the second half of their career!
hope this helps!
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Visit The new UK Decay Communities
paulrabjohn
King of Kings
King of Kings

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that , now i understand....

i'd always figured the album was recorded in 2 chunks , with side 1 as the earlier "goth side" (with creeton) and side 2 with the newer songs on (and twiggy). but sounds like it was more of a mixture.......

some live photos of the Lol line-up would be good.

so when you say the unexpected guest 12" , do you mean the LP version or the legendary unreleased 12" single fresh advertised but never released? (or are these the same thing). i always hoped i'd find one , but never did Sad p
werewolf
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: 12" Unexpected guest Reply with quote

12" Unexpected guest

We found a cassette in an earlier search that had a version of 'U.G.' on the label it said 12" version..so we played it and sure enough it was a (the) version!

However it is may be a variant mix of the album version..we will get back to you on this!...

RE. Lol bassplayer, as far as we Know that Sounds pic in the 'Punk Gothique' article, is the only one that we know of!
In that photo session in Brussels, there were scores of shots done, but obviouslly, there was only a couple actually printed.

Sounds, no longer exists, so it is unlikelly that we will ever get to see any of the other shots from that session again unfortunately.
But our guess is that there must be some pics out there in someones collection, scrapbook somewhere...perhaps someone reading this can help us out here!!! Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil

paulrabjohn
King of Kings
King of Kings

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there was also a zigzag article that had a pic with Lol , just a straight posed pic rather than the "mannequins" one. sure i've got it somewhere , i'll try to dig it out.....

"guest" 12" sounds a great find.............

p
werewolf
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: 'Re Unexpected Guest 12" Reply with quote

'Re Unexpected Guest 12"
just played that 'UG' unfortunately it turns out that it is a 'pre-mix' of the single version
along with a version of dresden!
Sorry it has turned out to be a wild goose chase..it threw us cus it sounded so different!
However some other good news...We have now found the DAT version of 'A night of celebration' and a 'listening' DAT of various Southern held 'For Madmen' takes.
These 2 Dats were compiled on a visit by the band to Southern in 1992/1993 . We listened to the Back-up 15ips 1/4" tapes as we did so we recorded them onto DAT. Good job too cus there is on a couple of the tracks there is 'tape-stretch'! (severe 'WOW').
These were recorded from the 'backup' however...so there is some optimism that the 30 ips masters may be in better condition!
Another visit to Southern is inevitable. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

werewolf
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re. Belin Musichall gig Reply with quote

Re. Belin Musichall gig
PaulRabJohn wrote:
one question. i have a good tape of a berlin gig (11.12.80) at the excess club. in the gallery on the website there's a lot of pics of a berlin excess club gig which you call 1979. i'm presuming this is the same gig and my tpae date is probably right (can't imagine the unexpected guest sleeve used year old pics?). any thoughts?

Re Berlin 'Musichall' gigs ...Yes the poster (exxs club) does say 12th november 1980! i have been searching for my old passport in order to work out the sequence of events! but with no success!
The Photos are labeled on the back 'Riff Raff' 1980 so there is a good reason to suggest you are right, however we did go back and forth to Berlin in the early days quite a lot and I think we played that venue more than once! Because of our association with 'The Trashers' ( Georgio and Riff Raff from the Trashers had something to do with running the 'Music Hall' or 'Exxs' club-they also toured with us in the UK)
We do remmember those shots being taken however, The band 'posed' for them in the soundcheck..and that night we were suprised to find out that we were not to play till 3am (unheard off at that time in the UK!) it was a great gig, with loads of Berlin nightlife all over us!!
After we played, we partied till the morning, then went onto a Berlin cafe for breakfast..to find the place packed out with 'Punks' still up from the night before..I suppose in modern speak 'chilling out'!
Sorry my memory cant place in order the correct series of events its been over 20 years! but they can probablly be worked out! I will look at the details of the relevant posts and update them when we get a chance.

One other thing...i found a document that was written reffering to the 1992 plans to re-release UK Decay CD and there was a 'credits section' Jason ( creetin chaos ) played on 3 tracks on the For Madmen only album...'Dorian'..Last in the House..cant remmember the other one at the moment!!..he may have played also on the 'other' (according to the 'tapestock' documents) 'Unexpected Guest' which reminds me...those docs refer to 'another version' of Dresden...that cassette I was on about, contained another version of Dresden..to us it sounded different..

yours.....! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

paulrabjohn
King of Kings
King of Kings

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

somebody just gave me a copy of the "peel sessions" book , which lists all the sessions recorded for the bbc up to about the mid 90's. on the second uk decay session it says the bassist was called "dutch". i'm presuming this was probably creeton? can anyone confirm this......?

p

(the 2 peel sessions are superb btw , and certainly would be a brilliant thing to get released. maybe an idea for the future?)
werewolf
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: 'Dutch' Reply with quote

'Dutch'
Either we are mixed up here, or the 'Beeb' are!
We think the second 'Peel-session' was recorded sometime
in the fall of 1981, which could mean either 'Creeton Chaos'
or 'Eddie (Dutch) Branch' recorded the bass guitar for the
session!
I cant actually remmember which one it was, but have a
feeling that it was 'Creeton' who would have recorded with
'Decay' shortlly before his return to the States.

Will look in to this, it can probablly be worked out by dates!
unless someone can enlighten us?

paulrabjohn wrote:
(the 2 peel sessions are superb btw , and certainly would be a brilliant thing to get released. maybe an idea for the future?)

We have the paperwork from the BBC, in theory this is possible
but it is going to take a little time to get together. ie on the form
it asks for details of which label will be releasing it?...a question we
dont really know the answer to yet!
Thanks Paul that is very much worth looking at, perhaps
looking along those sorts of ideas is a way we could go. Did you
see this

NDNhenrik wrote:
run my own label, NDN Records (www.ndnrecords.com), and would be very interested in discussing such a release (preferable a double or triple CD with all of the official versions as well as unreleased versions, live, etc. And of course with a nice comprehensive booklet. All in superb quality of course. The band deserves it...). As to Peel Sessions, Strange Fruit originally had the exclusive rights to these, but this has now expired which means that any label can put them out (needless to say, they'll need the permissions, etc.)

Needless to say there are lots of ways forward if anything we are spoilt
for possibilities! It is going to take some time too assimilate all the
potential material into some form of dare i say...'package'! Rolling Eyes
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

paulrabjohn
King of Kings
King of Kings

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so was eddie branch also known as "dutch"? sorry , i'd never heard that one before.

i am going to put together a proper discography soon ( bear with me , busy boy at present Smile ) but here's some info from the excelent "in session tonight" book

first session recorded 22.4.80 , broadcast 29.4.80 ( rising from the dead , unwind tonight , for my country , sexual)

second session recorded 27.7.81 , broadcast 5.8.81 (duel , stagestruck , last in the house fo flames , glass ice)

glass ice is the original name for "shatterred" btw. so from that date i guess it's probably twiggy on the second session? p

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> In The UK Decay Today! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: