UK Decay Forum Index UK Decay
UK DECAY COMMUNITIES 2008

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Martin Giles 1949 - 2008 RIP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
werewolf
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject: Martin Giles 1949 - 2008 RIP Reply with quote

Martin Giles 1949 - 2008 RIP

Martin Giles 25th April 1949 - 18th January 2008.

Pictured here at Jon 'Smurf's' 50th, December 2006
"Scratch video artist, Light show artist, Artist, Musician and lifelong hippy"

Last weekend saw the sad passing of Martin (Videohead) Giles, who finally succumbed on Friday January 18th 2008 after a lengthy illness.
Martin who retained his ‘Hippy’ image and lifestyle till the end, will be missed by many in the Luton area, across successive generations of alternative sub-cultures going way back to the sixties. He become one of the first of the ‘hippy generation’ post-Kerouac, backpackers to travel during the sixties taking in North Africa, the Middle East, India and Afghanistan, amongst other places. Later he got involved with the early free festival scene in the UK and said that he sat in on the early discussions with Michael Eavis that led to the early Pilton festival, which of course we now know as the Glastonbury Festival.

In the early 70’s, Martin provided slide projection light shows for bands and he worked on the infamous early seventies anarchistic ‘Oz’ magazine shows. As the eighties moved into the embryonic House and Rave scene, his light shows evolved to included topical graphic kaleidoscopes. His video images rendered captive feasts of eye candy, often with humorous but deep and pertinent messages. In the early eighties he became involved with “33 Video” group which at the time was pioneering the new artistic sub-genre of Scratch-Video, it was this same group that created the ‘Werewolf’ video for UK Decay.

Martin was very good friends with the late Keith Warren and Jeff Gittings who, together with the Captain B, set up the Barbers Lane recording Studio “Heroes” in Luton in 1982. UK Decay utilized this small studio to rehearse the ‘Rising from the Dread EP’ and Martin took a series of shots of the band, which can be viewed in the UK Decay gallery.

Martin adorned his home with his fantastic collage artwork and created mind-blowing digital images during the infancy of home computing. However his deeply held political and philosophical principles prevented him from cashing in on his artwork; his family and friends would try to encourage him to pursue an artistic career, but Martin would have none of it. He simply didn’t believe in capitalism.

In the nineties Martin became friends with many of the underground housing-rave collective “Exodus” and became a ‘preferred’ photographer of the group. In an atmosphere of at-the-time understandable paranoia due to the devious history of police dodgy dealings with the free party group, sadly most of his collection of these photos and backups “disappeared” under mysterious circumstances. The slideshow he put together for Exodus’s one-day “Free the Spirit” festival held at the Duke of Bedford’s land at junction 13 of the M1 in 2000, turned out to be one of his last live performances. His last big project started as a slideshow, originally intended as projection for top alternative festival band ‘PAIN’. This ended up as a video of their popular anthem ‘Grow more weed’ a topic Martin understood well. This can be viewed on the Youtube website.

Later he became more reclusive and enjoyed getting back to the natural world. He took to wandering the northern Chiltern Hills near his home in Barton, where he would take literally thousands of images of fauna and flora. He must have collated one of the most extensive photo records of the Barton Hills range over the last ten years.

Martin had some eye-opening ideas for countryside artwork, which included a plan for a wind farm on the hills around the Icknield way. There would be three turbines representing the three sickles of the Pagan Knot positioned carefully on Britain’s most ancient highway with mid-summer and mid-winter alignments. An artistic impression on the landscape meant to unite the Icknield tribes, and the turbines would have looked like giant flower petals in the terrain, a spectacular gateway for travellers to and from the east of England.

He loved the free festival or party, drawn to the blazing campfire, he seemed like a Druid gazing into the flames, holding court like a wizened elder. Amidst the pounding rhythms and psychedelic frenzy, there would be our very own ‘merlin’ with a comforting smile, speaking of ancient landscapes, ufo’s, conspiracies or reminiscing of adventures in his travelling days.

Martin’s hippy-ness made him one of those people that would embrace many generations and genres of cultures; he will be fondly remembered by many.

Our thoughts go out to Martin’s three children Duncan, Zeke and Pheobe and to Betty Giles, his mother who looked after him during his illness

The funeral is at Olney Green Burial Ground, Yardley road, Olney, MK46 5EH, at 1.30pm on Tuesday 29th January 2008

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.
Werewolf note:
Martin was very close to the website team and at times offered guidance,
advice and material to the proccedings, he will be missed.
Also I will soon be adding links to photo gallery and presentation of some
of his artwork...watch this space

A big thanks to all those that have helped put this together.
(You know who you are)
Whilst every endevour has been put into getting this obituary right, please don't
hesitate to imform us of any mistakes. Also the story of Martin's life is
only partially written here, please feel free to add any tributes, comments,
or stories, or indeed fill any gaps.
Any new comments or tributes about Martin can be left here.
Or click the 'post reply' at the bottom of this page,
choose a user name, write your message and click 'submit'.
Your tribute or comment will appear on the post.
We will be holding a small gathering for Martin at Finbars in Dunstable
after the funeral service on 29th January. We hope you can join us in
celebrating Martin’s life.
Finbars is located above The White Horse pub, High Street North,
Dunstable, Bedfordshire. LU6 1HX

W.W.

Last edited by werewolf on Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:14 am; edited 4 times in total
Dharma Sister
Druid
Druid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Photo link Reply with quote

He will be (and is) very much missed. He made a unique contribution to the world that will continue as long as his memory and beyond in the hearts of those who loved him and in the hills upon which he walked.

Finally out of reach -
No bondage, no dependency.
How calm the ocean,
Towering the void.

Photos of Martin are at the link below. If you have any photos you would like to add to the album, please send me or werewolf a pm and I will give you my email address to send them to so that they can be added.

Love to all

Dharma Sister xxx

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rebeski/sets/72157603766352338/

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Administrators Note....

Please send any digitised pics to...
werewolf@ukdecay.co.uk
Thanks
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

www.myspace.com/djdetox

Last edited by Dharma Sister on Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:44 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
glenn j

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Nuff Love and Respect fi Martin from Bartin Reply with quote

Martin loved the Exodus parties and the Exodus parties loved Martin.

The parties were never about what speakers we were using or what tune we were going to play - they were much more about the collection of top spirited people they brought together. 'Martin from Bartin' as we would call him played a great part in the building of those vibes and we all love ya then and now brotherman

On a personal one grabbing a spliff around the fire with Martin when it was getting hectic at times was a much appreciated and needed time out -big up yerself Martin from Bartin!!

One Love

Glenn and loads of other people here
dwrchris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Martin Reply with quote

I only meet Martin twice, but he left a few funny times when he stay in wales, and i'm sure he will be missed greatly.........Chris
jon smurf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Martin Giles R.I.P Reply with quote

There's lots i could write and want to write but the words just fail me atm, i have the memory's tho and they are fresh and will never go, we have had some brill times many walks talks and a few down times too but i dont think there has ever been a time when i have not enjoyed Martins company or humour, he was always a pleasure to be around and a kindred spirit fellow artist and a wonderful human being.
The walks over the hills wont be the same again but we know that you will always there beside us in spirit you are stardust you are golden and you are back in the garden may your light be eternal and your spirit be at one, Blessed be Smurf
Gavin Hodge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Martin Giles Reply with quote

Martin,
you were a delight, a good friend and a good artist.
We'll meet again, love, Gavin Hodge, Berlin
miss hoots

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLESS YOU MR GILES XXXXXXXXX HAVE FOND AND HAPPY MEMORIES AND MOST OF ALL YOU WERE PART OF MY FURRY FREAK BROTHER CREW XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX THE ORIGINAL BAND OF BROTHERS YOU MURF AND SPON .. YOU CAME TO SEE US HITTING THE HILLSIDES WITHOUT FAT FREDDIE AND HIS CAT ... THE WELSH HILLS WILL MISS YOUR VISITS AND THE FREAK BROTHERS HAVE LOST A CREW MEMBER ... BUT YOULL BE WITH US IN SPIRIT XXXX AND THIS WE KNOW MY FRIEND XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX MUCH LOVE LIGHT AND A HUGE GREAT HUG MATE XXXXXXXX MWAH BIG KISS TOO XXX AND MY BIG LOVE TO YOUR FAMILY XXXXX
Captain B.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am deeply saddened, no, totally gutted to hear of the passing of one of the loyalist and most unchanging of people I ever met.
With Martin, you got what you saw.
He rose above the clamor of backstabbing and conniving in this mixed up world. He was what it said on the tin.

A huge smile, your knowing laugh, in the face of adversity.
Your deep, far-seeing eyes, your belief in the Universal Truths that inspired the peaceful hippy-movement. I never knew you were so ill until too late, and I could not bear the sadness.
If I had not met you, my life would have been lessened.
Gone now to explore the realms of the Otherworld, Martin prepare a place for us there, where on those distant shores we must all wash up as strangers. May we meet again as friends once more.

I will never forget little Charlie my dog chasing you down the back yard at "33" and you jumping up on the wall to escape! We all have so many memories!
I will never forget your wise thoughts and deep wisdom as we shared some of your treks to the magical places you knew on the hills around your home.
Martin, we drank once at the wishing well, I know we shall sup together again, so be it.
Great Angels carry you on. God be with you.
You live on in our hearts.
A very special blessing for your mother.
drgaz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Goodbye Martin Reply with quote

Over the years I travelled many miles with Martin, both over the hills and far away.

He loved the countryside around him and despaired of its desecration and destruction "in the name of progress".

We used to spend many hours poking about the ancient sites around Barton, speculating at what may or may not have been.

Martin was an inspiration to many as he ploughed his uniquely subversive furrow through life, stubbornly planting seeds for the future, doing what he believed to be right and true (and fun). And of course he ruffled a few feathers as he went along, which isn't always a bad thing!

Martin, you'll be missed. But now you're free to be part of everything again. See you later Old Man ....

drgaz
bob

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sadly missed is right,

i always came away from a conversation with martin feeling all the better for it.
i didnt know half the things he'd been up to in his life when i was standing, listening and mourning his passing at his graveside, probably because he was a humble soul who would have a proper exchange of ideas when we chatted , no ego , no boasting but plenty of laughing and smiling and twinkly eyed hippy gentleness.

we are the poorer for his leaving us, but i know i'm certainly better off for having spent time with him.

if there were more 'martin from bartins' in this world it would definitely be a better place.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> People Requiem All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: