UK Decay Forum Index UK Decay
UK DECAY COMMUNITIES 2008

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

albie de luca / gene loves jezebel

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: albie de luca / gene loves jezebel Reply with quote

i found this really good article on GLJ which explains the early history including albie's role in the band and what he played on. there's lots of it , the twins seem to fall out with everyone in the band on a regular basis ;

http://www.gljpooh.co.uk/biography.htm

i had a chat with albie at a furyo gig (luton library) and he told me his contributions were wiped from the first album. looks like he just played on the "screaming" and "bruises" singles from this article , which agrees with what he told me. seemed a nice guy who was much happier in furyo than dealing with the aston brothers.

the 2cd reissue of the first GLJ album "Promise" has proper credits , and albie is credited as playing on 4 tracks ; the 3 tracks on the "Screaming" 12" plus a previously unreleased extended version of "Brando's Bruises".(originally on the Bruises 12").

anyone see albie play with GLJ? i think i saw 3 gigs with 3 line-ups , but not during albie's time. i had a demo tape of his post furyo band "de luca triangle" (with nigel preston and the play dead bassist). this was sort of pub rock , nothing like furyo at all. wonder what he's doing now......

p
werewolf
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:43 am    Post subject: gene loves Jezibel Reply with quote

gene loves Jezibel
My god Paul thats one hell of an article there that you linked to!
One hell of an example of a 'fans' website!
Have you read it all?
Sounds rough 'Albies' contributions got wiped!
Rolling Eyes

Visit The new UK Decay Communities
paulrabjohn
King of Kings
King of Kings

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ain't it just! Smile

no , i didn't read the whole lot (yet....) just the bit about albie. actually i did find it pretty interesting as , like the writer , i also first saw GLJ at the UKDK zigzag club gig in june 82. however , unlike him , i wasn't really blown away by them and much preferred the superb sets by sex gang children and uk decay. that was a hell of a gig , but that early GLJ lineup (with future all about eve singer julianne regan on bass) didn't seem to have gelled properly at that point.

my brother was a much bigger GLJ fan than me and he dragged me along to a much better gig in coventry around spring 84 (around their first album). i'd agree with the write that this was their peak , the band were way better then. i missed albie's time in the band which was in between these 2 gigs i saw.

i also saw a much later gig at bham poly when they were trying to do a sort of "stadium goth" thing with james stevenson (ex-chelsea) on guitar. support was ausgang who blew them away , they'd lost it by then and didn't do much for me at all.

since my last post i went and borrowed the 2 singles albie plays on ( screaming and brusies) and you can definitely recognise that furyo guitar sound (big , echoey , chorussing) in there. hadn't heard them in years but they sounded pretty good. god knows if these are still available , but i wouldn't think downloading them would be too hardto work out.....

p
paulrabjohn
King of Kings
King of Kings

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see link here for 2 great pics of albie and pete waddleton (ex play dead) on stage with deluca triangle.

http://www.companyofjustice.com/pics/DELUCATRIANGLE.jpg

this is off an unofficial play dead website that's well worth a look , all sorts of stuff on there. p
paulb
Bard
Bard

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadnt thought of GLJ for ages until I read this (old) post.

I subsequently went away and downloaded bruises from itunes, which is a pretty good song actually.

I saw GLJ three times in 82, all very early shows (before even julliane reagan joined) once at the ICA, then in Northampton supporting Bauhaus at the Mask Ball gig in Lings forum and once at the Rock Garden and then waited patiently for the first single to come out (a 12" only, 'shaving my neck' is now something of a collectors item).

Saw them again in late 83 at a venue in Cambridge and it was alright but the slightly homoerotic vibrancey of the first gigs had gone by then.

Anyway, listen to Bruises, it pretty good!
paulrabjohn
King of Kings
King of Kings

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just for the record , here's something someone posted up on the play dead site

"Specifically I recently acquired a copy of a De Luca's 7" single from 1991. The info it contains:

tracks: revolution boy (4.24) / high fever - live (5.04)
writing credit: a.f. de luca
production credit: jon jacobs
label: equator records, 17 hereford mansions, hereford road, london w2
cat: AD 1"

anyone got/heard this?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> Furyo General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: