UK Decay Forum Index UK Decay
UK DECAY COMMUNITIES 2008

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PORTRAIT ? Christian Disguise? Studio or not?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> In The UK Decay Today!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
INMYGALLERY

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: PORTRAIT ? Christian Disguise? Studio or not? Reply with quote

This is one for the real experts;

Recently, listening to the Death So Fatal CD, I was reminded that 'Portrait' leads in to 'Black Cat', and is effectively the intro to it.

Does anyone know if Portrait was ever demoed, or recorded in a studio at the same time as Black Cat? It was very popular live up to the time that Unexpected guest came out. Also, Christian Disguise which has an Antz feel a bit like 'Boil in the bag man', I was wondering if this ever made it to tape? Lastly, I'm aware that UK DECAY at least once recorded a Birthday treat demo which was given to one of the Leighton Buzzard crew, and I fail to remember his name, but 'Marius' or something like that rings a bell.
Apparently, Abbo repeates this guys name at the beginning of a song.

Has anybody got a clue about this?

Alan
paulrabjohn
King of Kings
King of Kings

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there

well as far as i know , the band never really did "demos" as such until probably mid-82 (there are some demos for "rising from the dread"). tapes that exist (like the "christian disguise" that appears on the "death , so fatal" cd) are more like rehearsal tapes rather than studio demos.

i guess back in the day there were probably loads of rehearsal tapes knocking about , but nobody seems to have these now. would be fabulous if some of this stuff re-emerged.

"portrait" was played loads of times live (up until about summer 81) but i'm sure no studio version exists. i've seen the tape logs for the "madmen only" sessions and sadly there were no out-takes / rare tracks left over. i guess "portrait" was one of the tracks ditched when eddie joined , i think it was played in the segovia/lol/creeton eras but then left behind. shame , because its very good in that medley with black cat.

just a few leftover copies of the cd still available for sale , if anyone wants one you've probably got until the end of the month to get in touch.

hope that helps. p
INMYGALLERY

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Portait etc Reply with quote

Thanks for that Paul, I was fairly certain that Portrait didn't ever make it to a proper studio.

Shame though, as it does work nicely played in line with Black cat.

I think the version most people have seen is the Dingwalls video with Lol.

Cheers

Alan
lutonabbo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Demos Reply with quote

Hi,the band never did demos , usually had some jams that were worked into songs either in soundchecks or John Peel sessions . Some songs we only did once , "Man With The Glass Hand "being one I think . Portrait and Christian Disguise were only ever played live .

lutonabbo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> In The UK Decay Today! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: