UK Decay Forum Index UK Decay
UK DECAY COMMUNITIES 2008

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Southern Death Cult...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> Matters of 'Gothiquete'
View previous topic :: View next topic  
25 years later

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:19 am    Post subject: Southern Death Cult... Reply with quote

Great site. Was into UK Decay from early on (For my Country) along with all the other greats of this era. Southern Death Cult, TOH, Ants, etc... Saw lots of these bands numerous times in London at the time.

Been wondering for a while now: Whatever happened to the musicians in Southern Death Cult? I saw the dodgy "Getting the fear" who fizzled out pretty quickly. Anyone know where the others are now? They were actually a pretty tight outfit in SDC and seems strange they did not go on to enjoy the success that Ian enjoyed in the Cult.
paulrabjohn
King of Kings
King of Kings

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i also saw getting the fear , you're right they were pretty lame. the singer and bassist then formed into a circle who were much better. after they folded the bassist had a short lived act called "joy"

the drummer aki ended up as the singer with fun-da-mental , who've done loads of stuff.

sure there's more , but that's al i know.

shame how the cult ended up , because death cult looked promising for a bit. i saw a really superb gig at the b'ham tin can club , but it went very wrong later. p
25 years later

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, you've got that right about the Death Cult thing. The sad thing is they could have probably done just as well, if not better if they'd stuck to their original path. No reason they could have not progressed into being a U2 or Radiohead. Instead they will go down in history as being nothing but a 3rd rate AC/DC Led Zep cover band. Still remember seeing the video for Love Removal for the first time and the feeling sinking in "wow, it really is one thousand percent finished..." The same feeling as witnessed with Adam and Prince charming, Kirk Brandon with the awful second SOD line up, amongst others...

So anyone know what the SDC musicians are actually doing today? Cab drivers?
paulrabjohn
King of Kings
King of Kings

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think astbury did it for the cash , i just think he fancied himself as a heavy rocker. interesting to know what jamie made of it all as it sure ended up a long way from ritual....

i suppose with adam you've gotta say he went for it and got what he was aiming for. whereas kirk just faded away for lack of a good tune then made a prat of himslef sueing the ex-boyfriend. never thought much of SOD , but TOH stuff still stands up.

not sure if fun=da=mental are still going. astbury was singing with the doors last i heard. buzz didn't seem to do much after SDC , barry i think gave up after Joy flopped. as a recommendation , try the "assassin" album by into a circle ; i was really impressed with that one. p
25 years later

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know what Jamie made of it bit know he wasn't into the "rock n roll" lifestyle. Last I heard he had totally retired from the band thing and was residing near where I am currently located in Toronto, Canada. Met him here about 8 years back as I knew his cousin who is(?) / was a local producer over here. Seemed a nice enough guy but it's all a blurry memory.... Wink
paulrabjohn
King of Kings
King of Kings

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

must've been tough for jamie , not even allowed in the photos etc etc

a few months back somebody told me that ian and billy were "an item" and the cult ended when they split up. now i'd not thought of it that way at all , but then it occurred to me that billy's 2 previous singers were kirk brandon and morrissey. hmmmmmm. bet there's some stories to be told about this lot......

p
Pantherin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The peculiar thing is that Astbury had a spell of mentioning their Post punk heritage in interviews at the onset of the ninetees. I think that was around the time when they did the Witch.... Would have been great if he had done mor than just remember.

I haven't heardd anything off their recent "between good and evil" album. Suspect it wil be rock and rawl as ever...
mh
Druid
Druid

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it was.

Astbury & the post-punk heritage thing was likely a sad attempt to cash in on the whole Nirvana fever. Like "hey kids, we were there too!"
Danse Society

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Yep Reply with quote

Yep you gort that right mh!
D,

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could understand changing the name from Southern Death Cult, given that the line-up of the band had changed, but didn't they then change the name from Death Cult to The Cult because the record company thought the "death" word was too nagative and therefore bad for sales.

On the one hand it simplified things in the same way the Pogues had to change their original name - they were know as the Pogues anyway. Whereas with The Cult it seemed an unnecessary cop out.

I don't know about youse but from the time I saw them as Death Cult (Leeds Futurama) supportinig Killing Joke, to what I saw of them in later years, something more than the name had changed and they'd gone a bit more Guns&Roses or WTF they're called.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> Matters of 'Gothiquete' All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: