UK Decay Forum Index UK Decay
UK DECAY COMMUNITIES 2008

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Luton Town FC
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> FRIENDS! Post your profiles here!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian Lee
Druid
Druid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks, 'Guest', whoever you are- name yourself: don't be shy !- for that link.

A very interesting and useful website. A good cousin to the California Ballroom website ! Incidentally, Friars boss David Stopps is currently writing a book about the history of the club. Should be a good read. See http://www.musictank.co.uk/david_stopps.htm
Mr T

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: 1 Reply with quote

Hi Ian

You are right it was the 10 November gig...but the interesting thing would be to know if there was a 'near-miss' that night regarding the nuclear defence system. I know it sounds far-fetched but someone said that in November '79 there was a 'near-miss'. My paranoia might have been justified!

Anyway what a great night it was as were many GoF gigs. I saw them a number of times, mainly with Mr Hall and I do remember you being there too at GoF and other gigs. In fact you were at a number of the Friars' gigs that I went to. That site is really useful as it gives the chronology to all my memories. There were some great bands that went there. Did you go to the Queensway Hall at Bletchley? I saw a few bands there as I did at Dunstable. I remember seeing Dr Feelgood at Dunstable when the Dammed came on stage (Scabies and Sensible) and they dived out into the crowd and some fun ensued. I also remember seeing Motorhead there. I was wearing a blue plastic pakamac that I decided was inappropriate. I threw it on stage and in slow motion it floated down through the dry ice and landed at Lemmy's feet. Then I got whacked...either by skins or angels. Or probably both!

I saw Jay the other day for the first time in many a year. It was great to recount so many memories. I was a Candi Stripe and the Statics' band member for a short period with his brother Al. I didn't stay in the band long as my drumming was really crap and I mean crap. One or two gigs but I also played in the Peace of Crecy with Eddie Stanton, Fruit and co. We did a gig at Northampton and the reviewer said that the lead signer moved with the grace of a shackled penguin.

Oh and thanks for the memory re Mr Peel at the Nag's Head. That was biker country over there. But there again Luton had the Mad Caps, Leighton Buzzard, the South East Outlaws, and there was an outfit in Bletchley. And then there was the West Bletchley Skins and the Bedford version. I was at a gig at Mander College where Plastic Fitzgerald was playing and all these skins invaded the place and it was mayhem. Actaully it was horrible because they had weapons. Escaping on one's moped never filled one with much hope. I used to go 2 up to Friars on my moped!

Finally, before I go, I also remember the Lyceum as the most amazing venue. The Dammed did one gig there that was so electric and I also lost a weekend of my life that was spent partly in Luton and in London. I don't recall much of it but I think it could have been fun!

Have fun...

Mr T
Ian Lee
Druid
Druid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Stuff... Reply with quote

Yeah, Mr T (who ?) Gang of Four were one of the best so-called 'post-punk' groups (see Rough Trade compilation CD of the same name which includes 'For My Country').

I saw them many times- and yes, The Lyceum on Sunday nights- and the ULU on Fridays- were two leading London venues where such bands played. Very good venues, and you could get the last train home (most times).

Not sure about the nuclear near-miss in November 1979. There was so much paranoia, scare tactics, alarmist stories, and then big anti-nuclear demonstrations in the late 70s to mid 80s... I went on most of the demos, and to some of the peace camps, including Greenham Common. A lot of us have been pretty politicised since those days ! Real issues- not pathetic party politics....

I too was at a Motorhead gig at The Queensway- the 04/12/1979 show on 'The Bomber' tour. This happened because at the time I was trying to get bands viewed as 'punk' to be able to play in South Beds Council property again- which I had a meeting with the manager of the hall at the time (Frank Daley) about. As a consequence he guest-listed me. I still don't like Motorhead, although I can understand their popularity.

As for bikers- I was once whacked in the mouth by a cohort of the South East Outlaws in the Black Horse, Leighton Buzzard, one Boxing Day night.
For what reason, I still don't know. Anyway, this bastard's ring on his hand sliced through my lower lip- yet another trip to the L & D for repairs !
Hmm, I'd forgotten that story until now. Mostly, there was/is no trouble whatsoever- pop in to The Wheatsheaf, North Street, LB any weekend- the most 'alternative' pub in LB- although not so compared to those places in the late 70s/early 80s.

I think, in many ways, in addition to the obvious, it really was a different era !

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next Saturday in the Wheatsheaf - a Phil Collins tribute band. That's about as "Alternative" as Leighton Buzzard gets these days.
paulrabjohn
King of Kings
King of Kings

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey you know i used to work at the Queensway Hall as a steward 81/82 sort of time. all metal by then , the promoter (barry clarke) was a nice guy but an old rocker basically.

frank daley was a complete pain , always whinging on about something or other. not heard a mention of that name in decades Smile

anyway , still got a great buzz from that GO4 gig. like wire , some of those old guys still can really rock. hmmm , there's a thought.....

p

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> FRIENDS! Post your profiles here! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: