UK Decay Forum Index UK Decay
UK DECAY COMMUNITIES 2008

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Luton Belts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> FRIENDS! Post your profiles here!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan
Druid
Druid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Luton Belts Reply with quote

That's a name that brung a tear to many an eye..........

................Alan Cool ..................
werewolf
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Those Luton Belts Reply with quote

Those Luton Belts

The ‘Luton Belts’ were credited on the ‘Black-45’EP who were they?

Witness a ‘Decay’ gig, You see Abbo in the middle
of ‘Dresden’ take off his studded leather belt and whirl it around his
head in a demonic frenzy , shortly followed by the ‘tribal’ members
in the audience. ‘Health and Safety’ completely out of the window!

Oh yes the ritualistic adoration of the ‘studded leather belt’ became part
of the ‘UK Decay’ Cultural and Tribal identity.
Along of course with the painted/stencilled or crafted leather jacket!

Of course these things today may seem unethical or immoral, but you
got to place it in context with the tough times of the late70’s early 80’s
Thatchers Britain.
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Visit The new UK Decay Communities

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: belts Reply with quote

wernt they a gang kind off/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: luton belts Reply with quote

They were originally a gang of bikers, the punks took the name afterwards.
Paul Goodwin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Luton Belts an explanation Reply with quote

the luton belts were loosely formed from the grapevine days when at various gigs with ukdk we the fans and the band would invariably get attacked by the locals. the name comes from the time in hemel when we all went to the siouxsie gig and we got chased all over the town..... the next couple of weeks was the damned gig, and after some trouble inside when we plied the speakers down, gave dave vanian a kicking and nicked his mike! About 12 of us, were waiting outside for spon to come back in the minibus to take us home when about 50 or 60 locals came down the road for us..... like any good luton warriors we legged it round the back of the hall to find a dead end! with no choice we took off our studded belts and as they all came round the corner we steamed into them...... and THEY RAN!!! hence after that the joke name the luton belts. oh and i sold dave vanians microphone outside for a fiver! happy days...
werewolf
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:20 am    Post subject: Aha we are getting to the bottom of the 'belts' now! Reply with quote

Aha we are getting to the bottom of the 'belts' now!

Yes indeed Paulgoodwin, that rings true in the deep and dark
memory vaults!

Back in those days where in a town like Luton if you dared to look
'different' ( ie Punk) you were seen as 'fair-gain' for the 'meatheads'

After continual pastings received by the 'Punks' one day we held our
ground and faught back! We soon learned our 'Warrior' skills, which
were often brought to call!

Its not really the mission of this website to relish in re-living past
'battle-scenes', however ther is no denying the fact of the importance
that some of this activity had on 'molding' the Generized Luton Punk
Music scene and UK Decays history!

Didnt Abbo end up with Dave Vanians Mic BTW? and...
Has anyone out there still got their studded 'Luton Belt??

rattus norvegicus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul

Do you remember waiting for the minibus and Rat Scabies came over because the Croydon lot thought we were waiting for a fight - after we trashed the hall. I also remember Captain diving off the balcony before the gig - what a night!!

Thinking of the 'Belts' - just remembered the Welly St party when the Farley Hill mob decided to take on the punks and we chased them up the road including Trotsky with his morningstar!

He's a lecturer at Bristol University now, so I'm not sure he'd like being reminded of this.
werewolf
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:38 am    Post subject: "the famous (in our minds) Luton Belts" Reply with quote

nycelticboy wrote:
please excuse me for not being online earlier , only I've only just found out from Spon that this site exists ! It wasn't the best night to remember , but in the old punk days there seemed to be a scrap at every opportunity , hence the famous (in our minds) Luton Belts who overcame overwhelming odds in many cities and towns around the UK in acts of self defence. Brings to mind the Clash " what we wear is dangerous gear , get you picked on anywhere " , and it did.
abbo

Well "the famous Luton Belts" overcame overwhelming odds in many cities and towns around the UK in acts of self defence!

So there you go!

You have it from the horses mouth!
[url=http://www.ukdecay.co.uk/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=90&start=10]
View![/url]

Mr T

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Belting good fun Reply with quote

Well, well, well...the Luton Belts takes me back to heady times. I still have mine! I remember many a crazy night with my mate Chris Hall. The ruck with the Dammed is etched on my memory, not least because may years later I reminded Vanian of the microphone incident at a gig in Wales. Chris was a good mate of mine. Don't see him these days mind. As to young Master Wolfendale...you were a very naughty boy. Gosh it was fun. The Statics...I actually played in the band...one gig at Luton Town Hall as I recall. Lol was a star...really liked her. I also remember Gaynor. She told me I would always be punk in the head. I've never forgotten that statement. Made in the Grapevine with sawdust on the floor and glass in my hair because some girl chucked a pint glass at me!
I wonder what happened to the tailor's dummy that I left at Welly Street. It was last seen sticking out the chimney as I recall.

Well I disappeared up my proverbial, suffered mental health problems along the way but hey ho it's all part of life's rich tapestry.

Friars at Aylesbury...Gang of Four...Armalite Rifle.
frankforthright
Minstrel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject: Mr. T Reply with quote

Good on ya son. What heaDy days, never to be repeeated. Thanks for the great memories The Statics were fandaboulous. I do remember the Town Hall, But wS THAT THE GIG WITH rEZISTORS AND pNEUMANIA, OR WAS THAT LATE ON. lATER i GUESS. wHERES gAYNOR NOW?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> FRIENDS! Post your profiles here! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: