UK Decay Forum Index UK Decay
UK DECAY COMMUNITIES 2008

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where are the 'LU7 Punks' now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> FRIENDS! Post your profiles here!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian Lee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: I hear you ! Reply with quote

hey- I've heard my name mentioned ! Ian Lee here....

Yeah been living in Birmingham since September 1988... well, it's cheaper than London, isn't it ? !!

We all remember Steve Harle, Wayne Twigg and Dave Barr- never forget these great friends of ours...

Lyndsey F and Sandra W- with their sons- came to visit me here back in , oh 1995, as a consequence of me meeting Sandra at Steve H's funeral.
Apart from that day, and seeing Roger Holdstock, Daisy and Abbo at various Luton Town matches over the years, that's been about it.. (Oh, saw Abbo when he managed EMF and Pavement- gigs in Birmingham- Pavement all came on stage in Luton shirts !) I do go back in LB several times each year still. Were the late 1970s and early 1980s really that good, or have I borrowed somebody's red-tinted glasses ?

Spend time travelling to places of great interest around the world these days. I was in India, deathplace of all our three friends mentioned above, in 1994.. Glad I got back alive.. From what I understand, Steve was terribly unlucky, and Wayne and Dave, both rather mysterious, even though both of them were not in the best of health. I had visited both of them several times in Amsterdam..

Music I listen to these days ? Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, New Order- (well, not so much now), Mercury Rev, The Flaming Lips, maybe a little of The Fall sometimes.

Best wishes to all who were there in those days back then- thank you for being a part of it. If you're ever in Birmingham...

Ian
Ian Lee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: and more... Reply with quote

To slightly correct Roger Holdstock, re my meeting with Killing Joke (on 2 October 2003 at Wolverhampton)- they didn't bring me home (!) - me and others, after the gig, went on their tour bus parked outside the venue. No drugs in sight; found myself watching Father Ted DVDs with my mates and Ted Parsons (ex Swans and KJ's drummer on this tour). All rather pleasantly bizarre. I reminded KJ - yet again- that I was at their first ever gig (true !) on 4 August 1979 near Cheltenham- they were supporting The Ruts and The Selecter- a pleasant accident.

An unpleasant accident was however later that year- a very eventful year for me, incidently- after the UK Decay gig with Crass and Poison Girls at Marsh Farm Community Centre, Luton, on 14 December..

Someone- I can't remember who- said me and others, including Dave Barr, could stay at their place in Luton overnight. Strangely- and of course, I regret this now- both Dave and myself said we'd walk back home to Leighton Buzzard. 13 miles, in mid December- what were we thinking ? So off we set. Along Leagrave High Street, and turned right into Poynters Road. North towards Houghton Regis- along there, where the houses back off from the pavement a bit, I tripped, with my right elbow taking all my weight against the pavement. Never had I experienced such excruciating pain. I was rolling around in agony.
(I later found out that I had broken my arm). Eventually, I got up, and with Dave, continued our walk home. Daves' famous words to me were
"never mind- you can walk it off " !!!! We were stopped in Houghton Regis by 2 coppers, pulling their car up next to us, after noticing me holding my arm awkwardly. After satisfying themselves that we hadn't committed a crime, they allowed us to go on our way. What seemed a good hour later, we were heading north along the A5, north of the cutting, when a car stopped and gave us a lift to Hockliffe. We still had to walk along the dangerous road from there to LB. Got home at 3.15, a terrible nights sleep, in extreme pain. Went to the L & D Hospital the next day- discovered then that my arm was broken, and it was put in plaster. Had to have an operation to have a pin inserted to join the bone together- 4 days in the hospital. Still, out in time for Xmas, and to go to Watford on Boxing Day to see Luton win a now famous local derby match in the last minute. However, ever since, in the cold of winter, I feel twinges in my arm- probably have rheumatism there in late life...

Yes, I can give you a few stories- I hope they contribute to build up a true picture of these punky times.
werewolf
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: HI Ian Lee Reply with quote

HI Ian Lee
Hi and welcome to UK Decay Communities!

This is the second attempt at replying to your post ( the first was at 2am
earlier today- I dont know what happened to it- I think I must have failed
to submit it!....DOH!)

Anyway great to see you here!

You have been mentioned within these pages quite a few times! so its
great that you finally got here!
Sadly we have all lost some of our freinds, even sadder that often it has
to be funerals that bring us back together! In a way that is one of the
purposes of this website and forum....to give a contact oppurtunity-
perhaps a kind of 'Roll-Call', for those that lived in those times! Hopefully
before it is too late.
Memories and perceptions of past events often get 'muddied' in the
rigours of time and we all forget things and become 'selective' in which
we choose to keep! Some may argue or prefer not to dwell in the past
with extreemly sound reason, but for others memories of events can
be like an 'unsolved puzzles' that need attending to in the chaos of
living.
Your absolutely right Ian in pointing out for us that not all events
were 'great and positive'. The 'ordeal' you described with your broken
-arm sounds absolutely horrific - thus for you have a particular poignent
memory that involves pain that is still around today!
So please feel free to share your thoughts with us. they are most
welcomed and valued here Ian and again it is great to see you around
again 'alive and kicking'!

BTW..we are trying to track down one mr 'Edwaldo Branch' who whome
we last heard of living in 'Brummy'!...tall order I suppose but its worth a try!!!
heres looking forward.... Laughing
Ian Lee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: ok, you asked for it.. Reply with quote

Thanks for the greeting. (Who actually is werewolf ?) Been playing the 'A Night For Celebration' cassette and a live recording of my 21st birthday party bash at the Bossard Hall, Leighton Buzzard, as I write these messages...

That was a memorable night at the Bossard Hall (now 'owned' by the British Legion', another public facility no more..) Jay Wolfendales' favourite UK Decay show, I see. Anyway, two of my mates (I know who they were- it matters not now, of course- hehe- what a laugh) knicked an upright piano from the hall, and unseen- supposedly- pushed it through residential streets, ending up in the street next to the one I lived in at the time. They ran off when a resident spotted them. Of course, damage was caused to the piano- it was raining- and I ended up with a bill for £148 (I was on the dole at the time, so that was a bit awkward for a while)and a small piece in the national Daily Mail (about the only near-accurate story they've ever had, I reckon). I still trot out this story to folk on occasion- some to disbelief.

Dare I mention an email address of mine you can reach me at-
ianlee442004@yahoo.co.uk -if you so wish.
Ian Lee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: just remembered... Reply with quote

Then there was the time I asked the band for a box of fresh 7 inch singles to sell- I think it was 'For My Country'- and I stood outside Dave Hollands' record shop in North Street, Leighton Buzzard, one Saturday, all day, selling the records at a lower price than what that disliked store owner
was (over)charging- much to his annoyance. Word soon got round town that day and I sold most of them, giving the money of course to the band when I next saw them.

In Birmingham, I met a friend of a friend last year who casually mentioned a band from the early 1980s- had I heard of them, 'cos he brought one of their records at a record fair, just by chance, and now he was raving about them. Needless to say, that band were UK Decay. So I then proceeded to reel off several stories and anecdotes- with him getting more and more open-mouthed, much to the amusement of our mutual friend. You know- sometimes life can be great fun !
j w

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: Piano Reply with quote

Hey Ian, i remember the piano, they were playing it under a street light in the rain when i walked past! one punky-ish and one tall and not. I was walking home via the back streets at the time. Yes indeedy it was funny........And The record shop owner, didn't that get somewhat heated if i remember correctly ! ? J x
Ian Lee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:59 am    Post subject: bloody piano- and other ramblings ! Reply with quote

So J W (if not Jay Wolfendale, who ?), they- punky one Jake Hale from Woburn Sands, tall one Nigel Harrison, from LB- were seen, huh ? Nigel now lives in Northampton- as does Ann Oldfield, nee Shingler, whose 40th birthday 'do' I went to last November. Met Rick Oldfield (of course !), Andy & Jane Shingler (living in Long Eaton, between Derby and Nottingham) and daughters, both now in their late teens- that was a wakening !- Mark Howard, Dave Stubbs (both London) and Mark Da Costa (another one in Northampton). (Other people from Woburn Sands/Aspley Guise are/have been living abroad- Ian Williams, Amsterdam; Paul Leas, Koh Samoi, Thailand; and Tim Redford, Bangkok. I've met all three at these places, the latter two in 1993- so things may have changed by now). It was Paul Leas who in 1980 or 1981 introduced me to Geordie, Killing Jokes' guitarist (it was quite a time after I'd been to their first gig).

Me and the record shop owner- yes, it got a bit out of hand. We once exchanged abuse at each other; another time he physically threw me out of the shop. There is no record shop there any more. As there is no public use of the Bossard Hall, no Queensway Hall (the whole bloody world will be one giant supermarket soon), no California Ballroom, (I remember seeing Generation X and The Cure on the same bill there once-older people saw Jimi Hendrix (who also played a 1968 or 1969 pop festival in Woburn Park, apparently) and the Rolling Stones there, among many. Both these two Dunstable venues were classic places... The California site is now a housing estate... getting close to the Whipsnade estate, where my favourite architect- I'm into architecture these days- Berthold Lubetkin built some classic 1930s Modernist homes (there are a couple down Old Bedford Road, Luton- white-rendered, square shaped, flat roofed) and zoo buildings (the latter now outdated). But that's for another website, not this one.
paulrabjohn
King of Kings
King of Kings

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: bloody piano- and other ramblings ! Reply with quote

[quote="Ian Lee"] As there is no public use of the Bossard Hall, no Queensway Hall (the whole bloody world will be one giant supermarket soon), no California Ballroom, (I remember seeing Generation X and The Cure on the same bill there once-older people saw Jimi Hendrix (who also played a 1968 or 1969 pop festival in Woburn Park, apparently) and the Rolling Stones there, among many. Both these two Dunstable venues were classic places... The California site is now a housing estate... getting close to the Whipsnade estate, where my favourite architect- I'm into architecture these days- Berthold Lubetkin built some classic 1930s Modernist homes

/////ah , there's some memories in there ian. i was only 13 in 77 so i missed the early dunstable punk gigs when i was growing up there (such a pity). the pistols (with the jam) played the queensway and the clash played both the queensway and the california (live b-side to "remote control" is from the cali gig). also there's a live track from the same gig on the subway sect compilation of a couple of years ago.

but i digress (as ever). i worked as a steward at the queensway in 81/82 so i have some fond memories of the place. sadly by then it was mostly shitty NWOBHM acts (def leppard , iron maiden etc) but i did see the skids and the damned. i was gutted when they pulled it down , actually went down with the girlfriend and took a pile of photos to remember it by , it was quite a unique building. and now its an asda , just what the town needs.

california got flattened mid-80's , as did the windsock at the bottom of the hill. amazing to think dunstable actually had 2 decent venues for so long. even more amazing that luton never had something along those lines. though the queensway was never a great place to see a band , too big and echoey. my fave was always aylesbury friars , always a great atmosphere there.

hendrix and jagger in sunny dunny ; what a thought. never heard that one before Smile p
rogerholdstock
Priestess
Priestess

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulrabjohn, I know I'm being very picky here, but that live Clash b-side was not recorded at the Cali gig. The Clash were actually in Dunstable filming a promo video (Why?????) and London's Burning was taken from that. I could be wrong, though.
paulrabjohn
King of Kings
King of Kings

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: california burning Reply with quote

you sure on this roger?

i know the clash did a video shoot at the cali (the clips of white riot and 1977 that get shown loads). but that b-side is in grotty mono and i've definitely read that it was taken from the cali gig. which sounds logical , i'd guess that if it was from the video shoot it'd be much better sound quality? but i'm not 100% here , just repeating what i'd heard.

more cali trivia ; the black arabs clip in the "swindle" movie was shot there with all the local roller skaters. not me i might add , i'd have been lethal Smile p

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> FRIENDS! Post your profiles here! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: