UK Decay Forum Index UK Decay
UK DECAY COMMUNITIES 2008

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where are the 'LU7 Punks' now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> FRIENDS! Post your profiles here!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blink poker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your both sort of right on this one,londons burning was indeed recorded live at the cali on the white riot tour on i believe 30th may 1977 but on the 26th april on the eve of the white riot tour they recorded three songs live at the cali but with no audience apart from the cameraman and a certain mr tony parsons hope this info helps.............. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
jay wolfendale

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ian, yes jw is me. That festival at woburn was the festival of the flower children, dylan john mayall hendrix trex and all sorts of others played there, i've got a poster for it ! I saw Dexy's at the queensway in 80 or 81, that was excellent, and new model army in about 85/86 also excellent. Hawkwind around the same time, who came along later and played at our party in woburn woods, with a local band - the stinkhorns or something like that......hmmm those parties.......
werewolf
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:35 am    Post subject: Hi all, dunstable and Leighton gigs Reply with quote

message from Spon wrote:
First
I went to some classic gigs in Dunstable including seeing The Stranglers at the Cali, an absolute corker. I cant remember what year but it was towards the end of the Cali era. Near the end of the set the stage got invaded by a mass off fans, you could not see any of the band. The bouncers were totally overun, yet the Stranglers carried on with endless encores regardless.
This was around the time of Rattus Norvegicus and their set included the whole album, brilliant. Still rate it in the top ten of all gigs i have been to.
Also saw endless bands throughout the seventies and eighties at the Queensway Hall ( and even played there myself once I think) Including Hawkwind's Space Rituall gig, they liked the Queensway, it reminded them of a giant cosmic egg., Thin Lizzy ( shock horror) and loads of other bands, but the gig that stands out is that of The Sex Pistols.
It was unlikely that the Pistols should play dunstable especially at the height of their notoriaty in 1976-7??
There was an audiance of about 80 or no more than a hundred and like myself at the time, probablly felt embarassed at being there, as at that time in Luton and Dunstable it was really uncool , to be into Punk.
Glen Matlock was still on bass and Johnny Rotten Lydon of course on vocals. I had never heard anything like the sound of the Pistols, they were very anarchic and didnt give a dam about any of the musical rules
Neither could they give a dam about their dress sense
At the end of the gig, J.R. just sat on the Drum riser, with his kind of strange look of indifference, watching all the punters leave. On the way out lodsa punters were lets say being very critical about the gig, well, a few months later it would be a totally differant story.
But this gig turned my head, made me realise the folly of the old way.
The funny thing is.I dont remember a darned thing about The Jam, who supported the pistols.
I didnt catch The Clash at the Queensway, cant remember why.
Sad to see both these venues now gone, for me living in the L and D area
(Stopsley at the time I think) it was the magical venues at the end of a long bus journey- believe it or not they used to run late night busses so you could get home in those days.

Leighton came into perspective of course within the days of UK DK, thanks to the likes of mr Ian Lee , Dave (mad) Barr and co. You guys gave us so much encouragement in the early days and you continually supported us till the end. You communilly adopted the identity LU7 punks ( sometimes spelt PX) and were renowned amongst other things, for your heroic efforts in getting to the gigs.
I last met Dave Barr in 2001 I think, at a party in bedfordshire and we talked all night about old times, and we also talked about some of the Milton Keynes Parties in the woods, that were held in the mid-late eighties, including the party that he and jay i think, had help to arrange with the Mutoid Waste Company, somewhere in central M.K. That was amazing, we turned up after getting lost, a minibus full of us in this open field amongst highways and building sites on a hot summers night. In the twighlight I could make out these Fantastic shapes.
As we piled out the minibus Dave came up to greet us and led us towards one of theses fantastic creations, as we got closer I realised it was a Brontosaurus built on the base of a truck. Dave ushered us onto the back of the Bronto, the next minute the truck turned on its engine and we were charging round the field. That was a brilliant party, the Mutiods had Tyranasaurus, Stegasaurus trucks as well. I think ( or it may have been real good acid LOL)
It was indeed a sad occasion at daves funeral in Northall last year, met up with Phill and Tim, Phill hadnt changed . Sorry to hear about Wayne, indeed it is a mystery that we have lost 3 (including Steve harle) warrior souls to that great land of India. You are all sadly missed.
final note..the legacy of the woods parties that Dave and co used to put on in the M.K. bedfordshire area is still extanct. I was at a Kacchina party ( although with no live bands i am afraid) over the last weekend it was near J13 and it had a really nice vibe...both Dave and Steve helped get me into these affairs.
All the best everyone
Spon

forwarded from Spon
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
jay wolfendale

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Spon, i remember our 'mutoid party', tripping, driving around caldecotte lake, with 'walnut tree' just being built, that was indeed one good party. I've got a pic of me on that brontasaurus bus, how cool was that thing. I remember driving around central m.k. on it in the daytime, that caused a lot of attention and helped swell the numbers at the party at the weekend. It was like the vampire circus had come to town. Oooh gothic again ! Our woods parties, in Gt.brickhill, Aspley guise and finally Woburn were so f****in great. What a bunch of groovers baby. I remember coming to your old house in luton too, turning up late one night with clive, that was some p.a. you had in there man. j x.
Pedantic Bastard

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: california burning Reply with quote

paulrabjohn wrote:

more cali trivia ; the black arabs clip in the "swindle" movie was shot there with all the local roller skaters. not me i might add , i'd have been lethal Smile p

Are you sure?? I was under the impression that it was shot at the Music Machine. I could be wrong .....
paulrabjohn
King of Kings
King of Kings

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well you could be right......i knew a guy who was one of the skaters and told me that tale. maybe they did 2 shoots and bodged them together or something.?

bet uk decay at the music machine were a whole lot more fun than the black arabs tho Very Happy p
Ian Lee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: California dreaming Reply with quote

Hey- I've just found this on the 'net-
www.california-ballroom.info/sitemap.htm
Now I'll read it !

Also, put "Queensway Hall Dunstable" into a search engine, and look at what you get ! And so on... easy, really.

(Friday the 13th ? 13 people at the Last Supper, which took place on a Friday. Superstitious religious nonsense. I deliberately walk under ladders, too- ladder leaning up against a wall makes the three sides of a triangle- The Holy Trinity -Father, Son & Holy Ghost. Zzzzzzzz. The world is still a backward place with all this religion around, whatever variety it is).
paulrabjohn
King of Kings
King of Kings

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha ha that cali website is great. surprisingly few punk gigs tho. the cure gig they mention was supporting gen x , poor billy would be most peeved at the thought fat bob was headlining ! p
paulrabjohn
King of Kings
King of Kings

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha ha that cali website is great. surprisingly few punk gigs tho. the cure gig they mention was supporting gen x , poor billy would be most peeved at the thought fat bob was headlining ! p
Ian Lee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: getting off the subject ? Reply with quote

....you know how it is- one thing leads to another. So, sorry if I've diverted from the subject, but....

After reading the California website, I now know that unloved Leighton Buzzard record store owner, Dave Holland, was a DJ there for some time..
And on a more personal note, I have discovered the identity of the outdoor swimming pool myself and my parents are shown at- in 1964, I think - on my late fathers' cine film (which I got put onto video). I was four, going on five.... The film said it was at Dunstable, but I had no idea exactly where- until now...

We now know that Dunstable was a Rolling Stones town, and Luton, a Beatles town ! (Well, at least by who played where). Talking about Luton, just picked up this 2nd hand book- 'Home Truths' by Bill Murphy- subtitled
'A jaunt around the decaying heart of England'. Chapter 27 is about Luton (easy target ?) Quote- "It is such a rotten place, whose locals themselves have nothing to say in its favour. ....The only ones to defend the place are local councillors and empty-headed local radio DJs". And later
"there's no shortage of village idiots in Luton" and "there really is absolutely bugger all anyone would want to do in Luton except escape". This book reminds me of The Idlers 'Crap Towns' book, except 'Home Truths' is just one persons effort and viewpoint. And also, 'Britannia Moribundia' - see wonderful website www.classiccafes.co.uk. Hey, hold on- UK Decay !!! Perfect !! I've come full circle !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> FRIENDS! Post your profiles here! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: