UK Decay Forum Index UK Decay
UK DECAY COMMUNITIES 2008

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEED THE WORLD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> In The UK Decay Today!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jediboyuk cylondiscohead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: FEED THE WORLD Reply with quote

Hi, bleached one from "The Switch" here, and am putting on a charity gig to support the Band Aid Trust (I hate the rapping on the new single!) and have some very cool local rock bands together for Tomorrow night - Saturday.

OK! Here's the blurb:

Band Aid Charity Gig at Luton University Saturday 4th December 2004

In support of the current campaign, I have gathered together the following bands to play for free in our town. These are some of the popular and talented artists currently on our circuit.

The Kindred

Over-easy

Cosmic debris

Drive Like Casey

Edge City

Dead girl on pavement

The event will commence at 7.30pm at the "sub club" in the University's SU and will run till late. (We’ll be in setting up from 6ish)

All proceeds will go to Band Aid, and my thinking behind the gig was that I wanted to raise local awareness of famine, and that we can all do something - if you think about it, really think hard, it's obscene what these people are feeling. When we fancy a snack we hit the fridge, those people can't. As a musician, I feel we are people in privileged positions who can make a difference - although most of us smaller units are skint for most of the time! I also felt that after 20 years of Band Aid and many more prior, enough still isn't being done - we are one of the most well off countries, and our governments stand idly by, as does America. Especially America. How sad that "the world's policeman" is happy to ignore the plight of the weak unless they can get oil out of the equation.

Anyway, there's some blurb. Photo ID will be required on the night, and we intend to have a wild party, and rock ourselves silly! I have tried to reach Paul Young, but no luck so far.

Couldn't get everyone in one place for a photo for the Luton News, but maybe we'll do that for next week in a follow up piece, when I'll tell you how much we made, and how it all went?

All the best,

Hedgy "D"

Oh yeah! £4 admission. Get there early!

Email: jedi_boyuk@yahoo.com
If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing right. If it isn't worth doing - give it to Darren & Rusty. Oh, dear... we seem to have partied beyond the light-barrier again lads! Are you trying to poison me, young man? This is PURE lemonade!! D say XXX.

Last edited by jediboyuk cylondiscohead on Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Ian Lee
Druid
Druid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: responding to the post above... Reply with quote

Next week: Pissing in the Wind.

Look, the whole world has to change before the fat west slims down and people in Africa- and elsewhere- get healthy. The only realistic thing one can do is to make sure you don't contribute in making the situation worse.

Note that since the Cold War ended- communism only in China (the USA daren't attack them), Cuba (oops, on the doorstep) Vietnam (now a friendly trading nation with the USA- true !) and North Korea (whoah, 'Axis of Evil')- capitalism is ever more powerful, ripping off and exploiting even more people, in far stronger and forceful ways than ever before. Quite frankly, those in power don't give a shit. Whoever they are.
Phil from Leighton B
Bard
Bard

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Pissing in the wind" Ian?? If everybody does something within their reach things can change, and the most effective change is on the ground I think, especially if promulgated by younger people with a vision for the future.
Phil from Leighton B
Bard
Bard

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. forgot to say...
i missed the gig(only just saw this loose thread sticking out of the DK tapestry, picked at it and the whole thing started to unravel)so how did it go? I think its was a great idea and deffo the way forwards. Music is about people coming together and creating new ideas. Is it a good idea to suggest gigs espousing making war(the suspension of normal laws protecting civilians) illegal?
I shall take a resounding silence on this as an all-encompassing "yes".
Mike Hunt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see that the old LU7 spirit is alive and kicking in the 21st century!
Phil from Leighton B
Bard
Bard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bet thats you Tim

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: FEED THE WORLD Reply with quote

jediboyuk cylondiscohead wrote:
Hi, Darren here, I used to work for "The Switch", and am putting on a charity gig to support the Band Aid Trust (I hate the rapping on the new single!) and have some very cool local rock bands together for Tomorrow night - Saturday.

OK! Here's the blurb:

Band Aid Charity Gig at Luton University Saturday 4th December 2004

In support of the current campaign, I have gathered together the following bands to play for free in our town. These are some of the popular and talented artists currently on our circuit.

The Kindred

Over-easy

Cosmic debris

Drive Like Casey

Edge City

Dead girl on pavement

The event will commence at 7.30pm at the "sub club" in the University's SU and will run till late. (We’ll be in setting up from 6ish)

All proceeds will go to Band Aid, and my thinking behind the gig was that I wanted to raise local awareness of famine, and that we can all do something - if you think about it, really think hard, it's obscene what these people are feeling. When we fancy a snack we hit the fridge, those people can't. As a musician, I feel we are people in privileged positions who can make a difference - although most of us smaller units are skint for most of the time! I also felt that after 20 years of Band Aid and many more prior, enough still isn't being done - we are one of the most well off countries, and our governments stand idly by, as does America. Especially America. How sad that "the world's policeman" is happy to ignore the plight of the weak unless they can get oil out of the equation.

Anyway, there's some blurb. Photo ID will be required on the night, and we intend to have a wild party, and rock ourselves silly! I have tried to reach Paul Young, but no luck so far.

Couldn't get everyone in one place for a photo for the Luton News, but maybe we'll do that for next week in a follow up piece, when I'll tell you how much we made, and how it all went?

All the best,

Hedgy (aka Tom Cummins, but I quite like Hedgy)

Oh yeah! £4 admission. Get there early!

Email: jedi_boyuk@yahoo.com
Phil from Leighton B
Bard
Bard

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey. im back. if anyone sees this , maybe this could be the thread for people into charity/awareness /fun raising gigs/views. what impressed me about punk was the idea of positive change- not plastic fashion. no doubt a contingent of the older generation dont care about the present, or are distracted by the past, or just dont care.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> In The UK Decay Today! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: