UK Decay Forum Index UK Decay
UK DECAY COMMUNITIES 2008

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

whos listening to what now?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> In The UK Decay Today!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulb
Bard
Bard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: whos listening to what now? Reply with quote

Theres a lot of talk on this site of the old days which is great fun but I wonder if anyone is still keeping up with current punk or indie bands and if so who are you listening to?

My tastes seem to be becoming a little more diverse over time, although the overriding factor largely remains that they must be hard to find and only a handfull of people have heard of them (that elitism never dies). So for what its worth i'm currently listening to;

The Magnetic Fields
Graham Coxon
The Flaming Lips
The Shins
Grand National
White Stripes
Sons and Daughters

none of these are really in the same vein as UK Decay et al musically, but the sprit of being inventive, independant and challenging remain.
Jason Bourne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supersuckers, Kings Of Leon, Shelter, Pennywise, Rocket From The Crypt
Ian Lee
Druid
Druid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Great contemporary stuff ! Reply with quote

Listen to- The Flaming Lips, Mercury Rev, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, The Fall, New Order, Nostramus.

Experienced great live gigs in recent years by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Arthur Lee and Love, The Flaming Lips, Mercury Rev, The Strokes, Stereolab, Godspeed You ! Black Emperor, The White Stripes, Patti Smith, Acid Mothers Temple- hmm, most of the people in these bands aren't British- what does that say ?
paulb
Bard
Bard

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Ian, I'm looking at my recent record collection and realising that as well. Not a concious decision but seems a lot of 'thinking persons indie' comes from the US now. And im largely not interested in the current crop of 'britpop 2; the second coming' bands such as the kaiser cheifs and the others etc. nor the social comment without style but much histrionics of the likes of coldplay, snow patrol, athlete et al......boring boring boring, and the new oasis single, christ what are they thinking, thats the best they can do after three ot four years! I did like the libertines though and a couple of others on my list are English.

Would love to see the flaming lips live, will definately go when they tour next.
blinkpoker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my music tastes get more diverse as the years go round listening to zodiac killers,detroit cobras,nick cave, leonard cohen,cramps,oblivians,buff medways plenty of 60s garage and also started getting into northern soul but only the floor stompers,plus the usual old school punk,stooges,radio birdman etc.... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
jay wolfendale

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: music Reply with quote

hello Blink, musical taste seems to broaden with the passing of the years, i love most of it, especially Northern Soul. have you been to the Rocket Club in Islington ? If not, that's the place to go. I have a collection of N.S. that is beginning to threaten my existance, choose your poison as it were......J X.
jay wolfendale

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: music stuff Reply with quote

Me Again.
So, this morning on the way to work, with some troll woman nutter next to me on the train, i'm listening to my 70's disco compilation that i've gleaned from various search engines. France Joli - Come to me, Amanda Lear - Give a bit of Mmm to me, Boys town gang - Can't take my eyes off of you, the list is long i'll tell you, and not full of the usual disco compilation stuff like Sister Sledge and Chic.
Seeing as this bit of the site is quiet, i'll explain....
So, 1976 / 1977, Still at school, listening to The Who, Zeppelin, Love etc. All of a sudden there's Donna Summer singing I feel love. Blimey, What's that ? We thought it was excellent. Then we heard The damned and The Pistols. Bloody 'ell that stuff was rockin'. Weren't old enough to go to proper disco's, just the village one, but i was old enough to dye my hair and put a pin through my ear. Excellent. See, back then it was a different country. Mass unemployment, dole ques around the block, strikes, it was no summer of love. Punk railed against these circumstances, whilst disco pretended that none of it was happening and just partied all night. For anyone to whom it matters, Coke and E's were already rife on the london scene, bought over from New York by the DJ's and afficianado's. So two very different scene's, dealing with the country in different ways. I t should be remembered that the pistols and co used to hang out in Louise's Disco, where they were accepted and got no hassle. Also, it has to be said, that going to work saturdays, listening to disco cheers me up. Now if i wanted to go out fighting, i guess a bit of the pistols doing 'Bodies' would probably gee me up. All sorts of music for all sorts of occasions really. I guess i always was a secret disco dolly anyway....J x.
werewolf
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject: Hey Jay Reply with quote

Hey Jay
Did you catch the California ballroom before it shut down?
Saw the Stranglers there, most amazing gig,, blew my head off!
So did Donna Summer's I feel love when I first heard it.
Then hearing countless mixes of 'Two Tribes' for the first time..
seemed appropriate then (USSR and USA)
but what about now?
take good care
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Visit The new UK Decay Communities
jay wolfendale

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: yeah baby Reply with quote

Hello Spon,
No, i never did get to the Calli, quite a few at the Queensway though, New Model Army, Hawkwind, Dexy's, etc. I seem to remember scoring off one of the biker bouncers there on occasion !
Donna Summer.. Mmmm.... Frankie's 2 tribes, what an excellent mix, i still have the 12 inch of that and Relax, ( 12 inches of Frankie - Oooh Mrs !) Seems funny that Trevor Horn could do that and be responsible for Buggles !
Speaking of Dexy's, I had been to see The Stranglers and Motorhead in Brighton sometime before, and excellent it was too, but when i saw Dexy's they were a surprise. the loudest thing i had ever seen. Very , very good. Turned up at the gig, i think i was the only punk in the whole queue, eyeliner, fishnets and a seditionaries kilt, bit passe by then i suppose, but not a single word or bit of hassle. That was a good gig. Kevin Rowland telling everyone to Ssshhh whilst they did a slow one, and we all did. I bought their first single, Dance Stance, after that. I see that it's called something else on the hits CD, and the mix isn't as good either.
Hang loose baby, J x.
jay wolfendale

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: music Reply with quote

I always remember stuff too late,
Speaking of records that blew my head off, a band that i hadn't taken much notice of, weak electronic stuff up until that point, was Yello. When that remixed ddouble album '80 - 85 in one go' came out it was just so good. That is how to mix. My friend Gordon played it to me, and i played it to Dave, That was played a lot at our early woods parties.
For anyone who's never done a trip, put that on your head phones, an hour before dawn and head down the woods and wait for the sunrise. Listen to it all the way through without stopping. I'm sure they had something like that in mind when they mixed it. Their next LP, 'One Second' is the same. What a trip. Favourite track - 'St Senor the Hairy Grill' - Wow Man ! J x.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> In The UK Decay Today! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: