UK Decay Forum Index UK Decay
UK DECAY COMMUNITIES 2008

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Resistors
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> In The UK Decay Today!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogerholdstock
Priestess
Priestess

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Resistors Reply with quote

The missing link.....Check the Guestbook on www.thefriction.co.uk for a 28 year old update.....
werewolf
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:45 am    Post subject: The earliest known Rezistors Photo! and line-up. Reply with quote

The earliest known Rezistors Photo! and line-up.

The Rezistors::possibly at Barnfield College December 1977!

this was the very earliest line-up
Ricky Smith - Vocals
Martyn Smith - Guitar
Dave Stubbs - Guitar
Mick Dove - Bass
the late Steve Harle - Drums

Thanks to Roger for supplying the pic!

Well that puts the early history of the Rezistors back a year!
So the fact that there was more than one Barnfield College gig
is also news to us! This gig is a year or so earlier than the
Jets, Rezistors, Snow White and the Sic Punks (or the Rockers!) and
Fame's 'Five year Plan' gig talked about elsewhere in this website!
You can read Mick Dove's letter in the guestbook at
http://www.thefriction.co.uk

For our next Newsletter 'UK DK Today 3' we shall go rattle Martyn
'Sergovia' Smith's braincell's for further info!

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Visit The new UK Decay Communities
mh
Druid
Druid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow, was that the same Dave Stubbs who went on to write for MM?
Ian Lee
Druid
Druid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: There's only two Dave Stubbs... two Dave Stubbs... Reply with quote

mh-
No, the journalist Dave Stubbs is not this Dave Stubbs- as This Dave Stubbs (TDS) has pointed out to me a few times now. TDS is a Lutonian, who later moved to Leighton Buzzard. Although I knew his brother before I knew him, TDS was an integral part of Black Sheep Promotions in Leighton Buzzard (so finding himself promoting UK Decay amongst many),
with Andy Shingler (now living in Long Eaton) and myself (now in Birmingham). We also produced The Revolution Will Not Be Televised fanzine, feeling compelled to do something in culturally backward Leighton Buzzard, if only for our own sakes- to stay alive, as it were ! Big Black's 'Kerosene' and Lou Reed & John Cale's 'Small Town' sum up the place (and hundreds of similar one horse - and no horse- towns). LB's saving graces were- and still are- the countryside around it, and it's relative nearness to London (the third grace ? being near to Luton for an important time in the 70s & 80s).

By the way, it's a great, unique and historic photo- thanks Roger !

TDS now lives in north London, not too far from Southern Studios. Check out his website, www.cybase23.co.uk. He was actually talking to me just several days ago about his Resistors experiences (I swear I didn't know myself until then, unbelievable as this may seem), and he mentioned he might- might, I add- write it all down some day soon ! Needless to say, I urge him to do so.
TS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Fake? Reply with quote

Looking at that Rezistors pic i couldn't help noticing something odd about it. It reminded me of something that i had come across in my company's graphics dept. i hate to be the bearer of bad news but i think you are being duped here.
The hallmark wear and tear of an old photo are recreated in a photo-shop plug-in, the name of it escapes me at the moment but i will investigate it later. Also there is something not right about the presentation and perspective of the picture ie Martyns head! i would love to be proved wrong here but i suspect not.
werewolf
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re.TS Reply with quote

Re.”fake” Rezistors picture
kindly sent in by Roger
TS wrote:
Looking at that Rezistors pic i couldn't help noticing something odd about it. It reminded me of something that i had come across in my company's graphics dept. i hate to be the bearer of bad news but i think you are being duped here.
The hallmark wear and tear of an old photo are recreated in a photo-shop plug-in, the name of it escapes me at the moment but i will investigate it later. Also there is something not right about the presentation and perspective of the picture ie Martyns head! i would love to be proved wrong here but i suspect not.

Admittedly on a closer inspection this photo does look a little odd, but although we have never seen this picture before I am pretty sure that this is the genuine article.

Perhaps “TS” if you could either register and PM me (werewolf) or email me on
werewolf@ukdecay.co.uk
Anyone else have any thoughts?

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Ian Lee
Druid
Druid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Rezistors photo- real or fake ? Reply with quote

Hmm, now you mention it... looking at this photo without my excitement of yesterday... The perspective seems all wrong.
Maybe Roger (Holdstock), the provider of the photo, can make a formal statement on its authenticity ! Or maybe one of those in the supposed photo can shed some light...I don't smell a joke/scam here, it's a bit stranger than that.... The world holds its breath...
rogerholdstock
Priestess
Priestess

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The photo was sent to me by Mick Dove (on the left in the photo). Oddly enough Dave Stubbs isn't in the picture, and Mick can't remember who the bloke on the right is. I think it looks very much like Ian Shaw, who was in the Cinematics, but don't ever remember him being associated with The Resistors, although he was a big friend off Abbo's at 6th Form College - but this photo was pre-Abbo.

The first Barnfield gig was definately 1977, I think.

I believe the photo to be genuine - Martin looks ok to me! - as Mick Dove also supplied me with Dave Stubbs and Ricky Smiths email addresses.

And talking of Ricky Smith, apparently the group was his idea (and can anybody think of any other "scenes" that had so many multicultural groups as us?), but Martin coined the Resistors name. Yes talking of Ricky, I understand that he is about to record vocals on some dance/rave type thing, but I'll leave this story for another day.....
rogerholdstock
Priestess
Priestess

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Mr Werewolf has received further photos - to be posted here soon?
werewolf
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: And here they are! Reply with quote

And here they are!

Many thanks to Mick Dove who posted these exclusive shots up
All that stuff about 'fake' pictures turned out to be nonsense!
So here we are 4 images in total genuine early Rezistors in 1978.

in the words of Mick Dove.....

"There's a picture of Martin Smith doing his Elvis/Red Rum impressions,
the late Steve Harle kipping on drums and doing a bit of singing and Ian
Shaw trying to be Keith Richards/Sid Vicious. I'm the one in the checked
shirt looking like I need a piss.
The pictures were taken during rehearsals at the Arts Council Centre
some time in '78 shortly after Ricky Smith and Dave Stubbs quit the band.
Ian Shaw was only in the band for a few weeks.

Regards - Mick Dove"

Larger View

Steve Harle tries his hand at Vocals!

Larger view

Larger view

Excellent!!
Thanks again Mick Dove & Roger Holdstock
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> In The UK Decay Today! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: