UK Decay Forum Index UK Decay
UK DECAY COMMUNITIES 2008

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why is if the audigy soundcard so bad?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> Music Production questions and answers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PJ
King of Chav's
King of Chav's

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:27 am    Post subject: Why is if the audigy soundcard so bad? Reply with quote

Because the main target for Live/Audigy are "normal" people that want to game, watch dvd's and occasionally make some music.

Back in the old days Creative was pretty good for music making (back in the days real pro audio cards still costs lots and lots more). The AWE64 Gold comes to mind. They used their own chipset and all was well.

Then they started using Emu chips, that came from a semipro card and the problems began. The samplerate was fixed to 48 kHz, and much people didn't know that. So if you made your music in any other samplerate, everything you did was internally converted to 48 kHz and back to your samplerate. So each action you performed passed a sample rate converter two times, talk about signal degradation.
That and Creative's drivers were good for consumer stuff, not audio production (latency, crashes in the beginning etc). Some clever people modified drivers from an original Emu card (the well known APS drivers, which became kX later). And latency got better. But you still have to cope with the fixed samplerate.

All this remained until the Audigy 2 Ex platinum (or Extigy). This one doesn't have an Emu chip anymore, but again an original Creative one, which they fixed most problems. But all the hype remains around Live/Audigy. And it's still true that the Audigy is a consumer card with a little musical ambitions (their DAC's aren't the same quality as M-audio's or Terratecs or any other more pro card).

So it's all a matter of what you wanna do. If you want an allrounder, but with main focus on gaming/dvd/... and want to make music on the side, the Audigy 2 Platinum is good enough. If your main focus is music, but still want some decent gaming and surround the Terratec Dmx6fire 24/96 is much better (better asio drivers, AD/DA, DSP is the same as the Audiophile). If your main concern is music and nothing else, look at higher brands like RME.
ok see you soon PJ ....
spono

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: In answer to the good ole issue of soundcards! Reply with quote

The good ole issue of soundcards!
Yes Absolutely! I use an ancient Soundblaster 'Live player 1024' on my home pc, yeah I know, its not proffesional. I would dearly love to upgrade my soundcard but its the pennies!

However, the KX drivers do make a definate improvement, but you have to switch your software to run at 48khz. No problem, Cubase SX2 converts the samples for you providing you set it up in the 'project definitions' ( to run at 48khz). Perhaps you may use a percentage or three more memory to store the samples but overall a much slicker performance!

Secondly, once you have your Audio within the PC environment, you only have to monitor the sound through your card. Lets face it these days with lots of quality VST instruments and with Cubase 'Mixdown' and 'Real time export', the music is 'rendered' within the PC so you can still utilize full 24/32 bit recording for the 'Mixdown'! Then you can 'dither' the file down to make an Audio CD or save it to CDR as data! This way retains the Professional qualiity avoiding using the output of the soundblaster.

The Trend I think although, is towards devices such as the Yamaha O1X
which 'breakout' the audio via firewire or USB2 into a control surface that also doubles up as a digital mixing desk. But alas costing around a £1000 perhaps a little above most folks pockets.

Idea Idea Arrow
duncan disorderly

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Thinkk iill stick to my guitar and that
its getting 2 complicated
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PJ
King of Chav's
King of Chav's

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:38 am    Post subject: re audio Reply with quote

have you got a sound card yet dunk?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: re audio Reply with quote

PJ wrote:
have you got a sound card yet dunk?

hello pj man ,well i do have a sound card now of the old creative sound blaster kind it is good for turning me old records into mp3 but that is about it,i havent tried it with much else to be honest
i do have a copy of the rhytmites integration now on cd if you want a copy drop me a line

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> Music Production questions and answers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: