UK Decay Forum Index UK Decay
UK DECAY COMMUNITIES 2008

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A few tips - that work for me at least

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> Music Production questions and answers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chriss
Bard
Bard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: A few tips - that work for me at least Reply with quote

Here’s my recording with Cubase tips for what it’s worth…

When recording audio - guitars, vox etc ‘Disable’ all tracks that aren’t essential to the recording process.

Don’t have millions of effects / VST instruments running either, these really tie up your processor. This can cause all those irritating clicks & pops.

If you use lots of VST instruments, export each track separately to an audio track, keep the programmed midi track (in case you want to change it later) then turn off that particular VST instrument. Doing this you can add audio effects to the newly recorded track. – Repeat for all VST Instruments.

To monitor the load on the processor hit F12

Also when recording, if you’re using a CRT monitor turn it off – particularly when recording electric guitars, you’ll notice a huge difference in background noise.

Buy Zero-Hum power supplies for your effects pedals / preamps etc.

Don’t over-do EQ-ing it makes things sound unnatural – a few key frequencies I use are:

Bass / Guitars / Vocals – use a high-pass filter (cut-off @ 100 Hz) this leaves room for the Kick Drum Bottom end.

Cut 375 Hz (or thereabouts) on guitars – eliminates that ‘boxy’ sound

To separate two similar sounding electric guitars - boost one @ 2 KHz and cut @ 3KHz – “-3dB should be enough – do the reverse to the other - pan them L&R but not all the way - about 85%

Vocal ‘Warmth’ can be increased by boosting 215 Hz. A cut of 6dB (or more) @ 1KHz reduces ‘Harshness’ and leaves room for the other instruments. A boost @ 3000 KHz increases presence. Use a de-esser on vocals – and use a pop screen when recording vox.

Bass Guitar – boost 100Hz (1dB) 200Hz (2-3dB) cut 300 Hz (1-2dB) this helps stop the mix sounding muddy – Cut 5KHz about 6dB

Acoustic guitar boost around 2400 for more jangle.

When you’ve exported your mix-down use some mastering software such as Tracks Mastering suite – the defaults are all pretty good – Limiting in particular gives you that ‘Big’ sound.

That’s all I can think of for now…

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> Music Production questions and answers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: