UK Decay Forum Index UK Decay
UK DECAY COMMUNITIES 2008

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Portrait/Necrophilia/ & The Man with the Glass Hand

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> In The UK Decay Today!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NickF

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Portrait/Necrophilia/ & The Man with the Glass Hand Reply with quote

Just wondering if these would be any interest in streaming these as I've have dug up a live bootleg cassette tape that still plays (remember those), (Bridgehouse -23/12/80) that I'm happy to pass on. I'll bung it on a CD if that's easier. Somewhere I've got another one that had an old fave Man with the Glass Hand on it but the mice may have got into the gothic tower where the old things are mouldering away merrily. If anyone can remember anymore of the lyrics to Glass Hand than 'Will you ever be the hero that you dreamed about' (used in a Gillette advert perhaps) I'll buy them a cyberpint.
rogerholdstock
Priestess
Priestess

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting. I used to love Necrophilia, and Dial M For Murder. can still sing along to them in my head all these years later.
paulrabjohn
King of Kings
King of Kings

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those 4 tracks mentioned above (necrophilia , dial m for murder , portrait , man with the glass hand) are the only 4 unreleased tracks i've ever heard. i've got a fair few live tapes , but only from about autumn 80 onwards. by that point they were still playing "necrophilia" as an encore sometimes , but i don't think MWTGH or DMFM got played much (at all?) after 1980 (maybe they left with segovia?). of these 4 songs "portrait" survived the longest by far and was almost always in the live set until the "twiggy era" started (usually done as a medley with "the black cat"). be great to hear these tracks on some sort of official release.......

MWTGH is quite an unusual track , not much like other ukdk tracks of that era. it has 2 sections really , the first part is very adam-and-the-ants-ish with a great stop-start guitar riff. then it has a very long slower fade out with all the "will you ever be the hero that you dreamed about" lyrics. it doesn't quite sound fully worked out (bit too long maybe?) but i could imagine it re-worked a bit and actually making the album (whereas sometihng like "necrophilia" is a million miles away from what they were doing by 1981). to me this is the best of these unreleased tracks , shame it fell by the wayside.

i guess there must be a lot of other early songs from the resistors era. does anyone have any 1979 or early 1980 live tapes? for a band who gigged so much , i'm surprised more don't do the rounds.

p
NickF

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Glass Hand Reply with quote

Dial M for Murder I've never heard. When did they stop playing that ? I'd love to hear it . MWTGH is a great track and as you suggest Paul very reminiscent of early ants but more downbeat (shades of the Madame Stan era ants, I reckon). I just hope I can find that tape in the attic! Bits of the lyrics drift back to me down the years - something about 'fatal frustration' . I'm assuming it's derived from/based on the Outer Limits episode about a man from the future with a supercomputer in his hand.
The Portrait/Black Cat medley is pretty clear and should be easy to clean up digitally.
I'd be happy to swap the Bridgehouse tape if anyone has a version of Dial M or Glass Hand.
paulrabjohn
King of Kings
King of Kings

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was really into the 77-79 ants , MWTGH is a lot like some of the slower numbers like "red scab" or "nietzsche baby" , with that grinding beat to it. i only have one version of it on a tape , music machine 27/10/80. i've also got the bridge house tape , i reckon that must be one of the last times they did DMFM. that would be one of the very last segovia gigs ; maybe they never bothered teaching certain songs to the new bassists and just ditched them?

mail me off-list and i'll send you a copy of MWTGH. i'm sure these unreleased tracks will see the light of day some time. p

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UK Decay Forum Index -> In The UK Decay Today! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: